Georgie is an experienced litigator who specialises in general commercial and media litigation, including acting for major commercial and media clients as well as the Victorian Government. She works closely with clients to protect their legal, commercial, and reputational interests and is well-regarded for her ability to project manage complex and large-scale disputes and to support clients throughout sensitive and high-profile matters.
Georgie has acted in many high-profile defamation cases, including for Rebel Wilson and Grant Denyer. She provides pre-publication advice to clients including Channel 7 Melbourne, The Conversation Media Group and JAM TV Australia, as well as advising and representing clients in defamation and contempt matters.
She has extensive experience in Royal Commissions, investigations and inquiries, including having acted in the Royal Commission into the Management of Police Informants (‘Lawyer X’), the Royal Commission into Family Violence, the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse, the Parliamentary Inquiry into the Handling of Child Abuse by Religious and other Non-Government Organisations, and the Victorian Bushfires Royal Commission.
Georgie also provides advice on sports law matters for clients including the AFL, directors of the AFL and other sporting clubs, and Gymnastics Victoria.
Georgie has served on several community and not-for-profit boards, most recently as a director of Gymnastics Victoria.
Royal Commissions, Inquiries + Investigations
- Acted for Victoria Police and its current and former officers (including former Chief Commissioners of Police, Christine Nixon AO, APM and Ken Lay AO, APM) in the Royal Commission into the Management of Police Informants.
- Acted for representatives of the Melbourne Response (including three prominent (then) Queen’s Counsel) in the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.
- Assisted the team in the Royal Commission into Family Violence and Victorian Bushfires Royal Commission.
- Conducted internal investigations (including into allegations of sexual harassment and assault, racism, fraud, and other matters) for a large multinational organisation.
Sports, Leisure + Entertainment Liability
- Acted for actress, Rebel Wilson, in her successful defamation proceedings against Bauer Media.
- Acted for media personality, Grant Denyer, and his dance partner from the series Dancing with the Stars: All Stars, Lily Cornish, in a successful defamation matter against Are Media regarding a defamatory article published by New Idea.
- Provided pre-publication and clearance advice to JAM TV, including for its Stan Original documentary series, Show Me the Money, following the AFL trade and draft periods.
- Provides pre-publication advice and advises and represents Channel Seven Melbourne in defamation, contempt and commercial disputes.
- Provided defamation advice and representation to employees of the AFL, directors of the AFL and other sporting clubs, and a senior coach of an AFL club.
- Acted for the AFL and members of the AFL Anti-Doping Tribunal in commercial matters.
- Provides advice to sporting organisations regarding historical abuse matters.
- Commercial Litigation
- Inquiries, Investigations + Prosecutions
- Legacy, Sensitive + Complex Claims
- Sports, Leisure + Entertainment Liability
- Professions + Business Services
- Public Sector + Education
- Sports, Leisure + Entertainment
- Technology + Cyber
- Centre for Media and Communications Law
- Law Institute of Victoria
- Melbourne Press Club