Greg’s current practice is primarily focused on NSW Government agencies and statutory corporations, working on public and product liability, intentional torts, property damage, personal injury, compensation to relatives, and motor vehicle and property recovery claims. His experience includes advising across a variety of workplaces for both public and private clients and insurers, including advising on construction and infrastructure projects, educational institutions, sporting facilities and manufacturing sites.
Having been seconded to work within government legal departments, Greg understands the challenges that agency personnel and public sector legal teams face. This means that he works to achieve a swift resolution of matters where possible, that he is alive to areas of particular sensitivity for public agencies, and knows when it is pragmatic for clients to settle claims or to litigate.
- Acting for Roads and Maritime Services in multi-party catastrophic injury claims following alleged road design defects and maintenance issues, including considering duty of care in novel circumstances, the statutory defences available under Part V of the Civil Liability Act 2002 (NSW), the Blameless Accident and Lifetime Care Scheme provisions under the Motor Accidents Compensation Act 1999 (NSW), and potential actions against the nominal defendant.
- Acting for the NSW Department of Education in liability claims against State educational institutions, including classroom, out-of-school and sporting accidents, bullying and vicarious liability claims arising from acts/omissions of teachers, and allegations of educational negligence.
- Acting for the Department of Finance, Innovation and Services in a multi-party Supreme Court claim for serious injury to an infant from a fall from a historic jetty.
- Acting for the NSW Police in response to a claim for nervous shock following the murder of her partner in the context of domestic violence and decision by police officers to exercising custody management powers.
Intentional Torts + Institutional Abuse
- Acting for the NSW Police in relation to claims against State in relation to vicarious liability for actions of police officers, including claims for wrongful arrest, false imprisonment, assault and/or battery, malicious prosecution and misfeasance in public office.
- Acting for Family and Community Services and the Department of Education in relation to allegations of sexual and physical abuse against persons working in residential and educational institutions, and in the foster care environment.
Workers Liability + Recovery
- Acting for an international food manufacturer following allegations that labour hire workers were exposed to toxic fumes in the workplace resulting in respiratory conditions.
- Currently acting for entity in relation to its defence of third party property damage action arising out of ground contamination from use and release of materials containing per and poly-fluoroalkyl substances.
- Conducting various motor and property damage recoveries for the NSW Treasury Managed Fund.
- Acting for developers, contractors, builders and tradespersons in claims for defective workmanship, nuisance and third party property damage.
- Defending an excavation contractor in Supreme Court proceedings for property damage and consequential loss following damage to a major underground electricity cable.
Product Liability + Recall
- Defending a timber supplier in response to an action alleging did not meet proper treatment standards given rise to losses by purchasers of timber for residential and commercial purposes.
- Advising on whether fire damage caused to numerous vehicles in secure lot was caused by product defect in a lighting display.
- Personal Injury
- Product Liability + Recall
- Property Damage (Third Party)
- Public Sector + Education
- Retail + Labour Hire
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- NSW Claims Discussions Group
- Property & Liability Discussion Group
- Law Society of NSW