Hugh is a Senior Associate in Wotton + Kearney’s Auckland office with over 10 years’ experience in insurance law and dispute resolution.
Hugh acts for insurers and their insureds across various sectors, with a focus on indemnity advice, professional liability and disciplinary, directors and officers and construction claims. He is a former Judges’ Clerk to the High Court at Auckland and has previously worked as a civil litigator for law firms in both New Zealand and Australia.
Hugh has undertaken post-graduate studies in law at the University of Toronto and New York University.
- Providing coverage advice to insurers and excess layer insurers in relation to various leaky building claims, including advice on the meaning and timing of property damage and the operation of defective product and wet building exclusions.
- Acting as defence counsel for architects and architectural designers in numerous leaky building and subsidence claims.
- Acting as defence counsel for solicitors, valuers and brokers in various negligence claims.
- Defending solicitors against complaints to the Law Society alleging over-charging and negligence.
- Defending a solicitor in judicial review proceedings challenging Law Society determinations and successfully obtaining permanent name suppression.
- Advising insurers and defending insureds following large product liability claims, including in relation to vessel collapses and failures of reinforcing steel.
- Acting for excess layer insurers in relation to a representative action again carpet manufacturers following an issue of securities to the public.
- Acting for the insurers for directors of a high profile finance company involved in civil proceedings and regulatory investigations by the Financial Markets Authority and Serious Fraud Office.
- Providing advice to insurers in relation to coverage issues arising from Canterbury earthquakes and methamphetamine-related damage.
- Acting for an insurer in relation to a policy dispute over business interruption loss caused by a Maui gas pipeline disruption.
- Directors + Officers Liability
- Industrial Special Risks
- Inquiries, Investigations + Prosecutions
- Product Liability + Recall
- Professional Liability
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Financial Institutions + Services
- Professions + Business Services
- Manufacturing + Consumer Goods
- New Zealand Insurance Law Association