James is an experienced insurance litigator whose key practice area is General Liability with a focus on personal injury and third party property damage, as well as subrogation and recoveries. He has practiced both locally and in London, which has provided him with a sound understanding and working knowledge of the tactics required to resolve matters with excellent commercial outcomes for his clients.
James has acted as coverage counsel on High Court proceedings in the United Kingdom, as well as advising one of Australia’s largest property groups on a range of personal injury claims.
James regularly appears in the various courts and tribunals of NSW and attends settlement conferences and mediations.
- Advising on a subrogated recovery involving an industrial fire in Newcastle, NSW.
- Advising a multinational elevator company in personal injury proceedings involving complicated engineering evidence.
- Advising on potential claims arising from a horse riding fatality in NSW which included an independent investigation being undertaken by the Coroner.
- Advising Australia’s largest diversified property group in a wide array of personal injury claims arising from its various assets across the country.
- Advising on a GBP 40 million reinsurance and construction dispute in relation to two separate losses sustained by a multinational joint venture in Qatar.
- Attending High Court (UK) proceedings as coverage counsel and advising an insurer on potential exposure under a Home Warranty and Building Policy, following the failure of a large residential property development in Northern England.
- Acting for insurers in relation to a multimillion dollar derailment in Broken Hill, New South Wales.
- Acting on behalf of a hotel syndicate in defence of catastrophic personal injury proceedings commenced against a hotel following an assault which resulted in an alleged brain injury.
- Personal Injury
- Property Damage (Third Party)
- Subrogated Recoveries
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Manufacturing + Consumer Goods
- Transport + Marine
- Australia Insurance Law Association
- Claims Discussion Group
- Law Society of NSW
- Young Insurance Professionals Australia & New Zealand