Jesse advises government agencies, claims professionals, underwriters and insureds in Australia and international markets on a wide range of general liability, public sector and property damage matters.
Jesse is highly regarded for her ability to provide strategic, technically sound advice on complex issues, and focuses on delivering the best outcomes for clients.
She has a keen interest in public sector litigation. With insight gained from various secondments to government legal departments, she is attuned to the specific priorities and philosophies of public sector clients when investigating and resolving claims. Jesse identifies sensitivities and policy issues that arise to advise on extrinsic risk, such as media interest, as well as opportunities for systems and training improvement.
Public Sector + Intentional Torts
- Multiple secondments to Transport for NSW and NSW Roads and Maritime Services advising on regulatory matters, coronial inquests, cyber and privacy matters, liability matters, criminal prosecutions and administrative appeals.
- Extensive experience acting in civil matters in the Supreme Court of NSW and District Court of NSW on behalf of the NSW Police Force, including claims of assault and battery, false imprisonment, malicious prosecution and abuse of process.
- Successfully defending a claim in the NSW Court of Appeal involving issues of appeal competency and extension of time to seek leave to appeal. In the District Court of NSW at Sydney, the hearing of the matter at first instance related to proportionate use of force, lawful justification for detention and alleged malicious prosecution.
- Acting for the NSW Police Force in high profile claims for negligence and nervous shock, including considering duty of care in novel circumstances.
- Acting on behalf of a barrister in a professional negligence matter before the District Court of NSW, involving the scope of advocate’s immunity and the impact of issue estoppel arising from the (finalised) underlying proceedings against the plaintiffs’ home and contents insurer.
- Responding to complaints and disciplinary actions before bodies, such as the NSW Bar Association and the Australian Financial Complaints Association and the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal.
- Defending professional indemnity claims in on behalf of practising legal practitioners, financial advisors, architects and engineers.
- Acting on behalf of an insurance broker in proceedings involving an alleged failure to procure appropriate insurance for a business in the meat industry.
Property Damage (Third Party)
- Acting in claims for property damage and defects brought against insureds working in the building and construction industry regarding excavation, shoring and pilling, and building services performed.
- General Liability
- Inquiries, Investigations + Prosecutions
- Professional Liability
- Property Damage (Third Party)
- Public Sector + Education
- Transport + Marine
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Professions + Business Solutions
- Intentional Torts
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- NSW Claims Discussion Group
- Law Society of NSW