John is a senior associate in Wotton + Kearney’s General Liability team. His experience extends to claims involving personal injury, property damage and product liability claims, including drafting coverage advice. He acts for a range of insureds including commercial and residential occupiers, specialised contractors, qualified professionals and head and sub-contractors in construction disputes. John has experience appearing in matters at Local, District, Supreme and Appeals Courts of New South Wales and instructing counsel at hearing.
John recently completed a three month secondment in the claims management team at underwriting specialists SURA. During this time he was responsible for managing public liability/personal injury claims and property damage/business interruption claims particularly in the hospitality space (hotels, restaurants, pubs and clubs, ski resorts/alpine lodges) as well as construction claims, including material damage and third party liability claims.
He is also an active member of Wotton + Kearney’s Community Footprint program, having recently volunteered with OzHarvest to increase the public’s awareness of food security issues in Australia
- Acting for various occupiers and owners in relation to personal injury claims.
- Acting in construction and worksite personal injury claims and dealing with legal, contractual and insurance disputes between multiple parties.
- Acting for licensed premises and security services providers in assault and accidental injury claims.
- Experience representing theme park operators in personal injury claims as a result of accidents and injuries to patrons on rides and advising on recovery prospects against ride designers and manufacturers.
- Assisting with the defence of the successful defendant in Smith v Croote Pty Ltd  NSWCA 35 in which the plaintiff was violently assaulted by another patron at a licensed Hotel in country NSW.
- Providing coverage advice in third party property claims against insurers for alleged faulty workmanship of plumbers, electricians and other tradesman.
- Acting for a physiotherapy practice defending a claim made by a patient claiming they had been injured as a result of the treatment received from a practitioner employed by the practice.
- General Liability
- Personal Injury
- Product Liability + Recall
- Property Damage (Third Party)
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Industrial + Commercial Property
- Manufacturing + Consumer Goods
- Public Sector + Education
- Retail + Labour Hire
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- NSW Claims Discussion Group
- Law Society of NSW
- Young Insurance Professionals Australia & New Zealand