Jonathan’s key areas of practice are General Liability and Healthcare Professional Liability. He acts for a range of insurers throughout Australia, London and the United States, as well a range of self-insured manufacturers.
Jonathan has over 14 years experience in insurance litigation including working with leading national and international insurance firms, and with an in-house legal department in London defending litigation against the UK Home Office and Ministry of Justice.
His particular areas of speciality are occupiers liability and product liability, including claims made under Australian Consumer Law, property damage, statutory third party recovery proceedings, defamation claims and medical negligence litigation. While working in the UK, Jonathan also practiced public and administrative law, including a substantial public inquiry relating to the British military occupation of Iraq during the second Gulf War.
- Representing a provider of recreational activities in a multi-million dollar catastrophic injury claim, achieving a heavily compromised settlement at mediation.
- Defending a US multinational in litigation based on the alleged malfunction of specialist medical equipment.
- Representing a major electricity supplier in a combined personal injury claim and VWA recovery in which the personal injury claim was settled for a significant reduction, and the recovery on a ‘bear own costs’ basis.
- Acting for maintenance contractors in a million dollar property damage subrogated recovery following a substantial flooding event at a Melbourne tower block.
- Defending personal injury claims by injured tenants against both commercial and domestic real estate agents and property managers, including a matter in which a close to $2 million claim was settled for a tenth of that amount.
- Providing coverage advice in relation to a complex indemnity dispute involving multiple occurrences allegedly contributing to a single psychiatric injury.
- Acting for an elevator manufacturer against personal injury claims involving allegedly defective elevator cars.
- Proceeding with a complex subrogated claim against contractors following a large-scale Victorian electrical surge impacting over 1,000 individual claimants, achieving effectively a complete recovery.
- Negotiating the prompt resolution of multi-party financial loss claims arising from the catastrophic failure of exhaust valves at a mine in Western Australia, requiring careful analysis and understanding of the technical detail and complex causation factors.
- Advising clients in relation to a range of litigated and non-litigated claims stemming from the failures of power transformers and substations, vehicle radiators and air conditioners (including FAPM claims).
- Appearing for local councilors in the defence of proceedings brought under the Local Government Act 1989.
- Defending and appearing for Owners Corporations in defamation proceedings at VCAT.
- Healthcare + Lifesciences
- Personal Injury
- Product Liability + Recall
- Property Damage (Third Party)
- Subrogated Recoveries
- Healthcare + Life Sciences
- Industrial + Commercial Property
- Manufacturing + Consumer Goods
- Sports, Leisure + Entertainment
- Australia Insurance Law Association
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- Property and Liability Discussion Group
- Law Institute of Victoria
- Women Insurance