Joseph works in Wotton + Kearney’s General Liability team in Sydney. He specialises in litigation arising from building and construction related incidents, slip and fall incidents, property damage arising from motor vehicle incidents and injuries arising from incidents involving government agencies.
Joseph defends claims against government agencies, statutory insurers, occupiers and building professionals. He regularly appears in the District and Supreme Courts of New South Wales, independent of counsel or senior practitioners. Having worked solely in insurance law since his admission, Joseph has developed a skill in anticipating the direction a claim may take, with the key aim of reducing costs for the client and obtaining a more favourable outcome.
Joseph is actively involved in Wotton + Kearney’s Community Footprint program. He currently provides pro bono legal assistance through the Self Representation Service for Justice Connect.
- Representing a major NSW road authority in a catastrophic incident resulting in 3 concurrent personal injury and property damage proceedings. The case involved complicated liability issue considerations.
- Defending a public authority in personal injury proceedings concerning untested legal arguments. The claim involved highly technical legal analysis. Joseph successfully negotiated a withdrawal of the claim against W+K’s client.
- Representing public authorities in relation to a wide range of legal claims including historic abuse, bullying and intentional torts.
- Successfully defended a claim where multiple incidents contributed to the Plaintiff’s injuries. The Plaintiff’s appeal failed, and the Insured’s cross-appeal was successful causing the award of damages to be reduced from $87,958.75 to $5,805.25. Falco v Aiyaz; Falco v Falzon  NSWCA 202.
- Successfully appealing a claim for statutory insurance where a motorcycle rider was struck by a kangaroo and claimed damages pursuant to the blameless accident provisions. Whitfield v Melenewycz  NSWCA 235.
- Community + Pro Bono
- Personal Injury
- Property Damage (Third Party)
- Transport + Marine
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Public Sector + Education
- Transport + Marine
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Law Society of NSW
- NSW Claims Discussion Group
- Property & Liability Discussion Group
- Young Insurance Professionals, Australia & New Zealand