Karen assists insurer and insured clients with general liability claims, and, in particular, personal injury, medical malpractice, life sciences, institutional abuse and professional indemnity claims.
She has developed a market reputation for her unique insights and collaborative approach to resolving highly complex claims in the healthcare sector for the benefit of all parties involved.
As the leader of Wotton + Kearney’s healthcare and medical negligence practice, Karen is dedicated to ensuring our clients receive commercially pragmatic advice from technically excellent lawyers. She is known for her focus on finding early, commercial resolutions and efficient case management. She runs a dynamic practice, in which she manages a large volume of claims and uses a range of techniques to minimise insurers’ exposures.
Karen is a regular author and commentator on the impact of emerging medical technologies on the insurance sector, regulatory developments and the work of regulatory agencies. Karen is a member of the Law Society’s Professional Conduct Committee.
- Acting for a leading healthcare provider in defence of various claims made against its independent contractors.
- Defending claims against a pharmaceutical manufacturer for personal injury suffered as a result of a human clinical trial.
- Advising on the management of international human clinical trial research programs.
- Acting for various religious and educational organisations in defence of historical abuse claims.
- Defending claims against a bank for psychiatric injuries suffered by customers during an armed hold-up.
- Defending claims against various builders for catastrophic injuries suffered at construction sites.
- Defending a leading supermarket chain and other leading Australian retailers and hotel chains against many and varied personal injury claims, ranging from “slip and trip” matters to significant damages claims litigated in the Supreme Court.
Healthcare Professional Liability + Life Sciences
- Healthcare + Lifesciences
- Legacy, Sensitive + Complex Claims
- Personal Injury
- Professional Liability
- Healthcare + Life Sciences
- Retail + Labour Hire
- Sports, Leisure + Entertainment
- Professions + Business Services
- Australia Insurance Law Association
- New South Wales Claims Discussion Group
- Association of Women in Insurance
- Law Society of NSW