Karina is a specialised member in Wotton + Kearney’s Financial Lines team, with her practice focusing on professional indemnity and directors & officers. Karina acts for both local and international insurers in litigated professional indemnity claims in the construction & infrastructure, mining and property & real estate industries. Karina has also assisted in defending directors of ASX listed companies in securities class actions.
Karina participates in Wotton + Kearney’s Community Footprint program, having represented a client from 2013 to 2015 in a potential claim for compensation as a member of the Stolen Generation.
- Defending directors joined to a securities class action and proceedings commenced by the liquidator of the directors’ former company. The various matters arose from the same factual matrix, and involved legal issues regarding the adequacy of a takeover, due diligence and the ongoing financial reporting obligations of junior to mid-tier listed mining companies. The matters were successfully settled 2016.
- Acting for local and international insurers in one of the largest mining losses in Australia in the last few years. The claim involved complex indemnity issues with important legal and economic consequences. The matter was successfully settled in 2016.
- Acting as defence counsel for the former CEO and Managing Director of a publicly listed multi-disciplinary engineering, procurement and construction company operating in Australia, Asia, Africa and North America. The Supreme Court of New South Wales proceedings are listed for trial in late 2017. The Federal Court of Australia securities class action premised on continuous disclosure obligations is in the preliminary stages.
- Defending engineers in small to large scale construction disputes litigated in the Supreme Court of New South Wales.
- Acting for valuers and real estate professionals in litigated property disputes for local and international insurers.
- Directors + Officers Liability
- Professional Liability
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Energy, Mining & Power
- Property + Real Estate
- Australia Insurance Law Association
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- Women in Insurance
- Young Insurance Professionals