Kate advises on medico-legal, employment law and general litigation matters.
On instruction from the Medical Protection Society, she advises medical practitioners and dentists on investigations by various regulatory authorities, complaints processes and court proceedings. She has appeared as junior counsel before the Health Practitioners Disciplinary Tribunal, the Human Rights Review Tribunal, coronial inquests, Professional Conduct Committee investigations and appeal hearings in the High Court. Kate attained an international perspective in the medico-legal space, having worked in medical negligence and personal injury law in Ireland.
Kate advises on contentious and non-contentious employment matters, including restructuring and redundancy, dismissal, performance management and obligations around workplace health and safety.
Kate has experience of legal issues arising from the application of the Privacy Act 1993, the Official Information Act 1982 and the Health Information Privacy Code 1994.
- Acted as junior counsel in Director of Proceedings v Brooks  NZHRRT 33, which involved arguments for permanent non-publication orders.
- Acted as junior counsel in A v A Professional Conduct Committee  NZHC 2158, which successfully challenged aspects of a Health Practitioners Disciplinary Tribunal decision and established a regularly cited precedent for name suppression.
- Acted for the State Claims Agency in Ireland in the resolution of medical negligence and personal injury claims against medical practitioners in public hospitals.
- Managed an employment law phone helpline service, available to the 10,000 + members of Federated Farmers of New Zealand Inc. The service included drafting and maintaining bespoke employment agreements and policies unique to employers in primary industries.
- Assisted 45 clients in negotiations to settle ‘clawback’ claims against the liquidators of Ross Asset Management (New Zealand’s largest Ponzi scheme).
- Assisted international colleagues in the Netherlands in implementing a restructure of the New Zealand branch of an international corporation.
- Acted for the Accident Compensation Corporation in debt recovery proceedings.
- Commercial Litigation
- Professional Liability
- Healthcare + Life Sciences
- Professions + Business Services
- New Zealand Law Society
- Wellington Medico-Legal Society