Kate advises on medico-legal, employment law and general litigation matters.
On instruction from a large healthcare indemnifier, she advises medical practitioners and dentists on investigations by various regulatory authorities, complaints processes and court proceedings. She has appeared in the Health Practitioners Disciplinary Tribunal, the Human Rights Review Tribunal, Coronial inquests and hearings and appeals in the High Court and Court of Appeal. Kate attained an international perspective in the medico-legal space, having worked in medical negligence and personal injury law in Ireland in 2019.
Kate advises on contentious and non-contentious employment matters, including restructuring and redundancy, dismissal, performance management and obligations around workplace health and safety (including addressing workplace bullying). She represents clients in mediation and negotiations to settle employment disputes.
Kate has experience of legal issues arising from the application of the Privacy Act 2020, the Official Information Act 1982 and the Health Information Privacy Code 2020.
- Assisting clients through complaints processes, and investigations addressing competence and conduct concerns.
- Representing and assisting health practitioners in the Health Practitioners Disciplinary Tribunal, Human Rights Review Tribunal and Coronial Court and before Professional Conduct Committees and Health Committees.
- Advising healthcare professionals on regulatory and patient privacy matters.
- Worked for the State Claims Agency in Ireland, facilitating the defence and resolution of medical negligence and personal injury claims against medical practitioners in public hospitals.
- Managed an employment law phone helpline service, available to the 10,000 + members of Federated Farmers of New Zealand Inc. The service included drafting and maintaining bespoke employment agreements and policies unique to employers in primary industries.
- Assisted 45 clients in negotiations to settle ‘clawback’ claims against the liquidators of Ross Asset Management (New Zealand’s largest Ponzi scheme).
- Commercial Litigation
- Professional Liability
- Healthcare + Life Sciences
- Professions + Business Services
- New Zealand Law Society
- Wellington Medico-Legal Society