Katie has extensive experience helping insurers and their professional insureds in the financial services, engineering, property, real estate and construction sectors. She has a depth of experience in professional indemnity, disciplinary work and litigation.
Katie’s practice extends to property and subrogated recoveries, having successfully pursued many complex recoveries for insurers and insureds. She has also project managed closed file recovery reviews for various insurer clients, with great results.
Katie provides technical and commercially astute advice when tackling litigation and dispute resolution, in which she has a particular interest. But it is her personable and adaptable approach that distinguishes her, particularly when working on complex claims to achieve practical results.
Earlier in her career Katie gained experience working with Zurich’s Major & Complex Loss team and AGCS’ Financial Lines team. She has previously been named as a Rising Star by Australasian Lawyer and as a leading insurance lawyer in The Best Lawyers (2021 and 2022).
Katie is a member of the Women in Infrastructure Network, Construction Law Society of New Zealand and the Arbitrators’ and Mediators’ Institute of New Zealand. She is admitted to practice in New Zealand and New South Wales.
Katie has trained with the New Zealand Institute of Directors and sits on the Board of Dress for Success Auckland, a charitable organisation aimed at empowering women to achieve economic independence.
Katie has also contributed to the recent publications including:
- Acting as defence counsel in multiple litigated claims and mediations arising from earthquake prone and leaky building issues.
- Successfully resolving a claim against insurers of an insolvent roofing company joined to proceedings with nine other defendants concerning the construction of a large apartment block.
- Acting as defence counsel on behalf of London market insurers in proceedings filed by a bank against the valuer of an industrial development property.
- Acting as defence and coverage counsel in more than 50 professional negligence claims following the collapse of a group of property investment companies. This eventually required the filing of interpleader proceedings to determine the priority of claimants with a charge over the remaining insurance fund.
Construction & Property
- Resolving multiple claims for insurers arising out of significant fire damage to commercial buildings, including the resolution of court proceedings.
- Advising insurers on a claim under a contract works policy following the rupture of a sewer rising main during upgrade works to a bridge.
- Settling material damage and business interruption claims by multiple insured parties following significant fire damage to a restaurant, hotel and office premises.
- Acting for contract works insurers in a claim arising from flooring damage during the construction of an apartment complex and advising insurers on recovery prospects.
- Achieving 100% recovery (indemnity and costs) for an insurer and co-insurers following damage to a fibre optic cable by an excavation company.
- Advising on policy and recovery issues, as well as commercial strategy, following a large fire at a major shopping centre that resulted in significant sulphuric acid contamination of the underlying foundations of the building.
- Advising on a potential recovery against a manufacturer of an inverter following a fire causing material loss and damage to large industrial premises.
- Assisting an insurer with a recovery action against a builder and certifier following defective construction works to the insured’s shopping centre.
- Commercial Litigation
- Professional Liability
- Property - Commercial
- Property - Major Loss
- Property - Subrogation
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Property + Real Estate
- Industrial + Commercial Property
- Professions + Business Solutions
- Manufacturing + Consumer Goods
- Women’s Infrastructure Network
- Construction Law Society of New Zealand
- Arbitrators’ and Mediators’ Institute of New Zealand
- Engineering New Zealand (Affiliate Member)
- New Zealand and Australian Insurance Law Associations
- New Zealand and Australian Professional Indemnity Groups