Lia is a Senior Associate in Wotton + Kearney’s General Liability team with extensive experience defending personal injury claims for national and international insurers involving public liability, workers compensation recovery and product liability issues, as well as catastrophic claims and complex and multi-party disputes. She also acts for a range of insureds including commercial and residential occupiers, contractors and manufacturers, and has experience with dual insurance, indemnity and coverage disputes.
Lia forms close, collaborative partnerships with her clients and is skilled at tailoring pragmatic and cost-effective defence and resolution strategies according to the individual needs of each claim. Having worked in-house on secondment and in private practice, she is experienced in balancing the needs of insurers and insureds, and understands her clients’ highly specialisted business practices, priorities and needs.
Lia also has experience in pro-bono matters and is passionate about mentoring and knowledge sharing. She sat on the Australian Insurance Law Association’s NSW Education Committee from 2018 to 2019.
- Successfully defending a substantial workers compensation recovery action arising from a workplace fatality where she acted on behalf of a host employer.
- Successfully minimising apportionment of liability when defending a head contractor in relation to a significant fall injury arising from unauthorised access to a construction site.
- Defending an Australian manufacturer implicated in an international food poisoning claim, where she defended the substantive issue of causation and advised on complex coverage and indemnity issues.
- Defending an industrial manufacturer in relation to a novel and highly speculative injury claim by a labour hire worker.
- Acting for major shopping centres and fast-food outlets in defence of multiple slip and fall claims.
- Community + Pro Bono
- General Liability
- Personal Injury
- Product Liability + Recall
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Retail + Labour Hire
- Manufacturing + Consumer Goods
- Residential + Commercial Occupiers
- Law Society of NSW
- Australian Insurance Law Association (NSW Education Committee 2018 – 2019)
- NSW Young Lawyers
- NSW Claims Discussion Group
- Young Insurance Professionals