Lisa is an Employment Practices Liability (EPL) specialist with extensive insurance experience gained in both private practice and international insurance companies.
She advises insurers and insureds on employment law and has acted in many unfair dismissals, general protections applications, sexual harassment and discrimination claims, as well as complex employment contract claims in both Australia and New Zealand. She has also advised employers on misconduct claims, termination of employees, policy reviews, employment agreements and contractual entitlements.
Beyond her EPL practice, Lisa advises on professional liability matters, construction claims, commercial and civil matters, and complex insurance coverage litigation. Her broad experience gives her a strong client focus and understanding of the practical needs of insurers.
Employment Practices Liability
- Acting for a construction firm defending a general protections claim by a number of employees and their union. The applicants alleged that the employees’ termination was due to the employees wearing union slogans. An underpayment claim was also made alleging the application of an incorrect award. A negotiated settlement was obtained at the conciliation conference.
- Advising a construction firm on the process for investigation of misconduct allegations against an employee arising from unsafe workplace practices and a drink-driving charge in a company vehicle. Following the investigation, a decision was made to terminate the employee. Lisa advised on the construction firm’s entitlements and obligations and assisted in drafting all formal letters to the employee throughout the investigation and termination process.
- Advising a waste company on a dispute by an employee regarding his entitlements under an enterprise agreement. Lisa subsequently advised on the negotiation of a new enterprise agreement with the company’s employees to better reflect all parties’ intentions.
- Acting for a community centre defending a general protections claim by a self-represented former employee. Offers of settlement were unsuccessful with the applicant, who was focussed only on reinstatement. The matter was successfully defended through a substantive hearing, an appeal and an application for special leave to appeal in the High Court of Australia.
- Defending an anti-discrimination claim brought against a public hotel establishment. Lisa moved quickly to draft a response to the claim and negotiate a settlement with the applicant.
- In New Zealand, advising a major regional District Health Board on the defence of unfair dismissal claims. This work also included assisting with investigation of misconduct claims and any required termination of employees, and advising on contractual entitlements.
- Defending civil engineers in proceedings brought against them in the Supreme Court of NSW arising from their preparation of remedial work specifications and supervision of the subsequent remedial construction. In this matter, Lisa successfully persuaded the claimant to withdraw the claim and make a payment towards the engineers’ costs.
- Representing a firm of solicitors in the successful defence of a knowing assistance of fraud and accessory to breaches of directors’ duties claim in the Supreme Court of New South Wales and Court of Appeal (claim value $9 million).
- Representing financial advisers and their insurer in related claims lodged with the Financial Ombudsman Service. Lisa provided coverage advice to the insurer, prepared submissions to the Ombudsman and appeared at conciliation conferences. The $1 million claims were settled at mediation.
- Construction + Contract Works
- Employment Practices Liability
- Financial Institutions
- Professional Liability
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Financial Institutions + Services
- Industrial + Commercial Property
- Professionals + Business Services
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- The Association for Women in Insurance