Mairead is a highly regarded commercial litigator and insurance specialist. She specialises in complex professional indemnity and liability matters with a particular focus on the construction, engineering, energy and financial services sectors.
She is a strategic thinker with a proven track record of working collaboratively with counsel, experts, colleagues and other service providers to achieve the best results for clients.
With her client-centred focus and a genuine interest in developing exceptional client relationships, Mairead has many long-standing insurer and insured clients, both locally and overseas. She regularly advises on coverage, defence and recovery issues in professional indemnity and contract works disputes and has considerable experience advising in respect of major infrastructure projects including Public-Private Partnerships and multi-jurisdictional matters.
Mairead is admitted to practice in Australia, New Zealand and Ireland.
- Successfully represented the head contractor of a $1 billion project for the design and construction of the Lane Cove Tunnel in recovery proceedings against various professionals following the collapse of a portion of the tunnel during construction. Thiess Pty Ltd & anor v Parsons Brinckerhoff Australia Pty Ltd & ors  NSWSC 173.
- Counsel in the successful defence on behalf of the head contractor’s professional indemnity insurers in New Zealand’s largest leaky building case. Body Corporate 326421 & ors v Auckland Council & ors (the Nautilus)  NZHC 862.
- Acting for a mining group of companies in professional liability proceedings involving multi-jurisdictional issues relating to former consultants.
- Successful resolution of multiple professional liability claims against geotechnical engineers, structural engineers, certifiers and architects (both international and local).
- Providing coverage and recovery advice for insurers in multiple tunnelling claims in respect of complex, high-value infrastructure projects.
- Providing coverage advice for Australian insurers in a complex claim arising out of an international design and construct contract.
- Providing coverage and recovery advice in multiple claims in respect of complex, high-value energy projects including complex LNG projects.
- Advising insurers on coverage issues arising out of complex property defect claims.
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction + Contract Works
- Directors + Officers Liability
- Industrial Special Risks
- Professional Liability
- Subrogated Recoveries
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Energy, Mining + Power
- Oil + Gas
- Industrial + Commercial Property
- Professions + Business Services
- Mentor in the UNSW Women’s Law Mentoring Program
- NSW Engineering Discussion Group (Committee Member)
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Women in Insurance
- Law Society of NSW, Ireland and New Zealand