Matt specialises in financial lines claims, particularly in the areas of professional indemnity, employment practices liability and management liability, as well as regulatory investigations and prosecutions.
He regularly acts for insurers on both coverage and defence in claims involving insured professionals, including engineers, surveyors and accountants. He also acts for insurers in defending general protections and unfair dismissal claims brought in both federal and state jurisdictions.
Matt has an eye for detail in investigating claims and can cut through complex disputes to provide cost-effective strategic advice and commercial outcomes.
- Acting for a surveyor insured in a dispute concerning a boundary marking that resulted in an encroachment on a neighbouring property. Matt helped the client consider the complex quantum claim and achieve a pleasing commercial outcome.
- Defending an accountant insured in a complex, multi-party and high value estate dispute concerning advice provided by the accountant. Matt helped the client reach an excellent resolution.
Directors + Officers Liability / Management Liability
- Advising insurers on coverage, including in a claim brought by an energy company against a current director for breach of fiduciary duties, as well as other matters involving breaches of the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) and misleading and deceptive conduct.
- Acting for director insureds, including in a claim brought against a former director of a financial services company concerning alleged contraventions of the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth).
Employment Practices Liability
- Acting for a local council insured in defending a general protections claim brought in the Federal Court of Australia. Matt obtained a pleasing commercial outcome for the client in this highly contentious litigation, which involved extensive lay evidence.
- Acting for an insured in multiple unfair dismissal claims concerning allegations of bullying. Matt managed these sensitive matters and secured a positive resolution for this client.
Regulatory Inquiry, Investigation or Prosecution
- Acting for a client in a Department of Environment and Science prosecution concerning alleged breaches of the Environmental Protection Act 1994 (Qld).
- Acting for an engineer insured in a regulatory investigation involving a complaint of unsatisfactory professional conduct under the Professional Engineers Act 2002 (Qld). The matter involved highly technical issues and expert evidence.
- Acting for a theme park insured in defending a Workplace Health and Safety Queensland prosecution following the malfunction of one of its amusement rides.
- Directors + Officers Liability
- Employment Practices Liability
- Inquiries, Investigations + Prosecutions
- Management Liability
- Product Liability + Recall
- Professional Liability
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Financial Instutitions + Services
- Property + Real Estate
- Professions and Business Solutions
- Queensland Law Society Member
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- Australiasian Life Underwriting and Claims Association
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Queensland Environment Law Association