Matthew has over a decade of litigation experience advising both general insurers and large corporations, with a specialisation in defending dust disease and toxic tort claims, high value/complex personal injury claims and public liability claims.
With experience in all aspects of dispute resolution including litigation, expert determination and mediation across multi-party litigation in both original and appellate jurisdictions, Matthew has the depth and expertise to handle all manner of commercial disputes, from the routine to the most complex commercially and legally.
Prior to joining Wotton + Kearney, Matthew worked as a Senior Associate at a leading South Australian firm. During his time in the insurance litigation department, Matthew had the conduct and assisted on general personal injury, professional indemnity and life insurance claims.
- Acting in industrial injuries matters and statutory recovery actions by the Victorian WorkCover Authority and related Serious Injury Application and common law actions. These cases have involved construction site injuries, gradual process injuries, psychological injuries and catastrophic injuries.
- Acting for institutions in personal injury claims made by students and other community members, including psychiatric injury claims for bullying, harassment and sexual abuse.
- Defending former manufacturers of asbestos-containing products against personal injury claims, nationally, including estate and dependency claims and pursuing contribution/recovery claims for asbestos liabilities.
- Directors + Officers Liability
- Personal Injury
- Professional Liability
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Healthcare + Life Sciences
- Financial Institutions + Services
- Professions + Business Services
- Australian Insurance Law Association