Murray specialises in employment-related disputes including issues of discrimination and whistleblowing in New Zealand and the UK. Before coming to New Zealand in 2017, Murray practised as a civil litigation Barrister in England & Wales and has a considerable advocacy background in mediations, tribunals and courts and has represented more recently in mediations in New Zealand (including in the Human Rights Commission).
His sector experience is varied and includes the public sector, education, local government, healthcare, transport, banking, farming, manufacturing and retail. His experience includes health and safety and data protection/privacy issues.
Murray also has considerable experience assisting healthcare professionals indemnified by the Medical Protection Society on medico-legal and regulatory issues in New Zealand.
- Acting for Transport for London and London Underground in a range of employment claims, including victimisation on grounds of race, detriment on grounds of being a health and safety representative, unfair dismissal and disability discrimination where disability was dyslexia.
- Advising and acting for Premier Foods Plc in a claim for disability discrimination and unfair dismissal where illness was unknown for a substantial time before diagnosis.
- Representing May Gurney Ltd (now part of Kier Group Plc) in various claims, including dismissal for failing to have handbrake on refuse truck and redundancy following a restructure.
- Advising and representing Dairy Crest Plc in claims, including dismissal of milk delivery men who were (literally) skimming off the top (in money terms).
- Advising and representing various consultants, doctors, GP practices and a hospital trust in cases ranging from whistleblowing to pay equity.
- Advising a large UK council in claims for personal injury due to alleged health and safety breaches.
- Advising and acted for a major pub chain in a claim for race discrimination and constructive dismissal.
- Advising for a solicitor following a wasted costs order in the employment tribunal.
- Representing a global steel company in a claim for unfair dismissal by a managing director of one of its subsidiaries.
The above matters were handled by Murray prior to joining Wotton + Kearney. Since moving to New Zealand, Murray has advised a range of organisations on employment issues, including potential and actual restructures and privacy issues.
- Employment Practices Liability
- Healthcare + Lifesciences
- Professional Liability
- Healthcare + Life Sciences
- Manufacturing + Consumer Goods
- Public Sector + Education
- Transport + Marine