Natasha is a special counsel in Wotton + Kearney’s Wellington office. Natasha started her career working for specialised insurance firms in Sydney before practicing law in London for over five years and then relocating to New Zealand six years ago.
Natasha specialises in defending a range of professionals in both civil claims and disciplinary proceedings. She also specialises in product liability, subrogated recoveries and general liability.
Natasha is a senior member of our real estate professional indemnity practice at W+K New Zealand and a large portion of her practice involves defending real estate professionals.
She has experience in high value and complex litigation as well as disciplinary proceedings. She has appeared before the Court of Appeal, High Court and District Court, including successfully defending a summary judgement application against a real estate professional, the successful strike-out of a solicitor’s liability claim and the stay of proceedings against an accountant under the Trans-Tasman Proceedings Act.
Natasha has advised on and assisted with a large-scale product liability claim involving multiple third parties in international jurisdictions, including jurisdictional applications to the High Court. She also regularly advises on subrogated recoveries for a number of insurers.
Natasha spent a year on secondment to the London Financial Lines claims team of Zurich Insurance and has undertaken secondments locally.
Natasha is a Committee Member for the Wellington Women in Insurance. She is the immediate past Wellington Branch President of the Young Insurance Professionals (YIPs) Australia & New Zealand Inc. Natasha was also a key member of the Wotton + Kearney fundraising team that partnered with International Justice Mission Australia (IJM) in 2018 and rode across Cambodia to collectively raise more than $100,000 to assist IJM in their fight against modern day slavery.
- Advising on, and assisting with, professional negligence claims brought against solicitors, engineers, architects, real estate agents, property managers and other professionals, including complaints to professional bodies such as the New Zealand Law Society Standards Committee and the Real Estate Agents Authority.
- Advising clients in relation to claims before the Disputes Tribunal and Tenancy Tribunal, including successful dismissal of claims against property managers.
- Pursuing subrogated recovery claims on behalf of insurer clients.
- Assisting with, and advising on, product liability claims and claims brought under the New Zealand Fair Trading Act.
- Advising and assisting clients in relation to disciplinary and regulatory investigations, including managing large scale document reviews and preparing reports for regulators.
- Undertaking a secondment to the London Financial Lines claims team of a major international insurer where she autonomously handled all aspects of a wide range of professional indemnity claims.
- Personal Injury
- Product Liability + Recall
- Professional Liability
- Property - Subrogation
- Professions + Business Services
- Property + Real Estate
- Construction + Infrastructure
- New Zealand Law Society
- New Zealand Insurance Law Association
- Committee Member of Wellington Women in Insurance
- Immediate past Branch President and Member of Young Insurance Professionals (YIPs) Australia & New Zealand Inc