Nick assists Australian and international insurers and Lloyd’s Syndicates on professional liability matters, including construction liability, professional indemnity and defamation claims, and also contract works, property liability and ISR matters.
Nick’s insurer clients recognise his versatility across industry sectors, so he is brought in to provide technical advice and problem-solving skills to identify challenges and resolve a wide range of matters. These include large-scale property liability claims, and professional indemnity matters for construction and finance professionals.
Clients recognise that Nick isn’t just a great technical lawyer – he also has a firm grasp on the issues affecting the digital economy. He regularly advises on numerous claims involving IT and software development professionals, both as defence and coverage counsel.
In addition to his financial lines practice, Nick also has a depth of experience assisting clients with accident and health claims and fraud investigations. He provides pragmatic, commercial advice on life, TPD and income protection insurance claims, and medical sickness and repatriation claims under travel insurance policies.
Nick is recognised as a leading lawyer for Professional Malpractice Litigation in The Best Lawyers in Australia 2022 and 2021.
Construction + Contract Works
- Acting for a broad range of construction professionals (D&C contractors, engineers, surveyors, architects and building certifiers) in claims and litigation across all courts and jurisdictions, including the Victorian Administrative and Appeals Tribunal (VCAT).
- Acting for insurers on a number of large-scale property developments across Australia for various design and construction companies.
- Acting for insurers in respect of claims made against a range of professionals, including accountants, financial advisers, IT consultants and healthcare professionals.
- Acting for insurers in respect of defamation claims made against various professionals.
- Acting for insurers in class actions commenced against financial planners arising out of the $300 million Westpoint property collapse and in litigation over a declinature following the collapse: Glenhurst Corporation Pty Ltd (In Liq) v QBE Insurance (Australia) Limited.
- Defending one of Australia’s largest financial planning and accounting firms in professional negligence claims.
- Advising insurers on subrogated recovery claims to recover losses paid under fidelity policies, typically involving obtaining freezing orders and injunctions from superior courts.
Regulatory & Investigations
- Representing directors at ASIC compulsory examinations.
- Acting for various financial planning groups and stockbrokers in claims before the Financial Ombudsman Service and Credit Ombudsman Service.
- Financial Institutions
- Healthcare + Lifesciences
- Inquiries, Investigations + Prosecutions
- Professional Liability
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Energy, Mining + Power
- Financial Institutions + Services
- Healthcare + Life Sciences
- Professions + Business Services
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Australian and New Zealand Institute of Insurance and Finance
- The Society of Construction Law Australia
- Building Dispute Practitioners Society
- Law Institute of Victoria