Nick specialises in cybersecurity and technology law, including major technology projects and risk management advice. He has extensive experience across IT procurement, outsourcing (IT and BPO), data and privacy, commercial contracts, telecommunications and intellectual property advice.
Nick brings a wealth of experience to his clients in both the private and public sectors, with over 20 years’ experience working as a technology, data and outsourcing lawyer for leading law firms in Australia and the UK. Nick strives to achieve a balance between finding commercial, pragmatic solutions for his clients whilst robustly protecting their positions and mitigating key risks. Over many years in legal practice, he has developed outstanding drafting, communication and negotiation skills, as well as a deep understanding of the technology, data and commercial landscapes, and uses these attributes to secure optimal results for his clients.
- Acting as Legal Advisor for Partnerships for Infrastructure (P4I), providing support, advice and guidance to a Southeast Asian country in relation to its draft new cybersecurity law, including during an in-country mission in May 2023.
- Acting on numerous high-value strategic matters for Singtel Optus, including in its $800 million+ agreement with NBN Co on the future of its Hybrid Fibre Coaxial network and in the renegotiation and ongoing evolution of its joint venture with VHA (now TPG).
- Advising the NSW Department of Customer Service on a major program of IT procurement, including for end-user computing, service integration and management, security operations and collaboration services, and managed network services.
- Advising an Australian Commonwealth Government department on a proposed data sharing solution with another department, including analysis and application of relevant privacy legislation to the project and the possible legislative mechanisms to deliver successful, privacy-compliant outcomes.
- Advising an Australian Government-owned corporation on its partnerships and IP product development strategy for uncrewed aircraft flight information management systems, including building out their IP commercialisation process and procedure and developing commercial negotiations parameters to manage IP and data-sharing risks.
- Assisting a large Australian energy retailer on its internal privacy audit, including analysing information flows and personal information storage across 3 key business units.
- Cyber, Privacy + Data Security
- Financial Institutions + Services
- Public Sector + Education
- Technology + Cyber
- Law Society of New South Wales