Nicole has significant experience in advising on all aspects of cyber insurance, ranging from responding to cyber breach incidents and implementing strategies to mitigate liability risks, through to defending complex litigation arising from data breaches. She has acted for insurers, international mining houses, international retail outlets, global and regional social media and telecommunication providers, marketing firms, banks and medical service providers in managing privacy and data breach incidents.
Nicole, who moved to Australia from South Africa, has advised on cyber incident response management for breaches occurring around the world (including in Australia, South Africa, Kenya, Mauritius, Lesotho, the UK and Europe (under the GDPR)). As part of W+K’s cyber practice, she has provided legal and privacy advice under state and federal privacy laws, and acts as a cyber breach lawyer for first and third party cyber risks.
Nicole is dual qualified in Australia and South Africa, and before specialising in cyber insurance, advised on a wide variety of construction related claims and disputes.
- Representing corporate entities, insureds and insurers in all aspects of cyber breach incidents, including compulsory and voluntary breach notifications and regulatory investigations, notifications to affected individuals, and steps to reduce reputational and other damages associated with data breaches.
- Assisting large corporate entities and insureds in court proceedings to preserve and recover data stolen or compromised during data breaches.
- Acting for a variety of corporate entities against former employees involved in data breach incidents.
- Assisting clients with preparing and implementing comprehensive incident response plans.
- Providing training to large corporate clients and insurers on the management of data breach incidents.
- Advising on wording, claims and coverage under cyber insurance policies.
- Cyber, Privacy + Data Security
- Healthcare + Life Sciences
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Energy, Mining + Power
- Financial Institutions + Services
- Manufacturing + Consumer Goods
- Technology + Cyber
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group