Nyree is a senior lawyer with over 12 years’ experience specialising in general liability. She regularly provides advice to insurers in relation to coverage disputes, dual insurance, personal injury, property damage and real estate professional indemnity claims as well as specialist experience in catastrophic personal injury claims.
Her advices frequently cover Workers Liability/Recovery and the application/interaction of the motors accidents legislation. Further, she regularly for hoteliers/licensees/clubs, sports and recreational event organisers/promoters, principal contractors, specialist sub-trades and real estate managing property agents.
Nyree regularly acts for domestic and offshore insurers defending un-litigated and litigated claims, in NSW, Queensland, Victoria and the Australian Capital Territory. She has represented domestic insurers in special leave applications before the High Court of Australia, a well as acting directly for insureds and employers to achieve timely, pragmatic, and cost effective outcomes.
Nyree began her legal career working in-house for a domestic insurer and as such has attained a unique working knowledge and understanding of the key drivers for clients. This experience has been instrumental in the way she formulates resolution and defence strategies for her clients.
- Acting on behalf of London underwriters of a large construction company in multi-party proceedings commenced in the Supreme Court of NSW. The plaintiff was a qualified rigger with over 20 years experience who was seriously injured when he fell a distance of 10 meters from the fourth level to the first level of a car park under construction after he removed a safety harness. The plaintiff claimed approximately $2 million. A verdict, by consent, was achieved.
- Acting on behalf of London underwriters of an abattoir in multi-party proceedings commenced by a plaintiff in the Supreme Court of NSW arising as a result of traumatic amputation of his upper limb in a drain pipe which was inadequately guarded. The plaintiff claimed in excess of $2.5 million. The claim was resolved with a significant contribution attained from each of the co-defendants.
- Acting on behalf of London underwriters of a Sydney pub in proceedings commenced by an mildly intoxicated off duty police officer/plaintiff in the Supreme Court of NSW arising as a result of loss of one eye after being glassed by a heavily intoxicated fellow patron. The claim was resolved for a heavily compromised sum to reflect intoxication and provocative conduct by the plaintiff.
- Acting on behalf of London underwriters in the interests of a high profile owner/operator of popular dining and entertainment venues across Sydney in a highly publicized case involving multi-parties in the Supreme Court of NSW arising as a result of assaults by security guards on a patron. The damages claimed exceeded $2 million for mental harm and aggravated and exemplary damages. Mental harm proceedings were also commenced by the patrons parents. Verdicts by consent were obtained from the parents and an undisclosed and significantly compromised settlement negotiated with the plaintiff.
- Acting on behalf of a domestic public insurer of a major Australian steelwork service provider. The plaintiff sustained catastrophic injury (quadriplegia) driving in his private vehicle on an internal road within steelworks when his vehicle went under a 10 tonne dump truck. The plaintiff’s damages exceeded $19 million. A significant discount was applied (20%) and 50% contribution achieved from a co-defendant.
- Acting on behalf of a domestic insurer in a mental harm claim brought by two plaintiff’s against a roofing and guttering company. The plaintiff’s son suffered a traumatic brain injury when he fell from a ladder in the course of his employment. He became depressed and later committed suicide. The plaintiffs operated a number of lucrative businesses and had substantial claims for losses of business opportunity in excess of $1 million each. A heavily compromised outcome was negotiated in both cases.
- Acting on behalf of a domestic insurer following a collision between a truck and multiple private vehicles on a major highway resulting in multiple fatalities. The accident was the subject of a Coronial Inquest and culminated in compensation to relative proceedings totaling in excess of $1.5 million.
- Acting on behalf of a domestic insurer of a construction company. The plaintiff claimed compensation in the Dust Diseases Tribunal for mesothelioma as a result of exposure to asbestos at a number of work sites across Sydney in the 1970’s. He died during the course of the Hearing and his wife brought a compensation to relatives action.
- Acting on behalf of a domestic insurer of a construction company in proceedings commenced by a plaintiff in the Supreme Court of NSW seven years after alleged exposure to fumes at multiple worksites resulting in occupational asthma. The Plaintiff succeeded at first instance in obtaining leave which decision was appealed and reversed. This culminated in an application for special leave to the High Court of Australia.
- Acting on behalf of a domestic insurer of a metal roofing company in a high profile mental harm and compensation to relatives claim involving the mother of a 16 year old worker who died on his first day of work at a construction site when he fell from a metal purlin due to an inadequate harness. Related proceedings for mental harm were brought by the safety officer employed by the head contractor in excess of $1.5 million.
- Defending a employers liability claim for an insured sugar mill in proceedings commenced by a worker/ plaintiff as a result of traumatic amputation of her arm due to inadequate guarding on a machine with a finding of a 20% reduction for contributory negligence.
- Inquiries, Investigations + Prosecutions
- Legacy, Sensitive + Complex Claims
- Personal Injury
- Product Liability + Recall
- Professional Liability
- Subrogated Recoveries
- Consumer Goods
- Property & Real Estate
- Sport Leisure and Entertainment
- Australia Insurance Law Association
- Australian and New Zealand Institute of Insurance and Finance
- NSW Claims Discussion Group
- Law Society of NSW
- The Association for Women in Insurance
- Young Lawyers NSW