Patrick specialises in public sector litigation. He acts primarily on behalf of government entities including police, health, ambulance, and child welfare agencies.
Patrick has experience predominantly in public liability, professional indemnity, intentional torts, personal injury, and recovery claims, as well as coronial inquests. He has developed a practice assisting clients to navigate the sensitivities of the abuse claims sector.
Patrick’s technical skills and understanding of the commercial aspects of claims management and litigation, together with his understanding of the priorities of government agencies, allows him to work with his clients to achieve timely and appropriate outcomes that are consistent with their specific protocols and philosophy.
- Defending a claim in the NSW Court of Appeal in relation to a personal injury claim arising from an unlawful arrest.
- Acting on behalf of multiple NSW Government agencies in relation to a class action brought by young persons allegedly unlawfully detained for breaches of bail conditions due to problems with NSW Government computer systems.
- Successfully appealing to the NSW Court of Appeal on the issue of remoteness of damage.
- Appealing to the NSW Court of Appeal on a matter involving statutory interpretation.
- Defending a claim in the NSW Court of Appeal in relation to the user of a taser device.
Public Sector + Education
- Advising the Department of Justice in relation to the issue of residual liberty.
- Acting and appearing for both the NSW Police Force and the Department of Justice in responding to subpoenas to produce; moving on notices of motion to have the subpoenas set aside.
- Acting on behalf of NSW Police and the Department of Justice in relation to a class action brought by young persons who alleged they were unlawfully arrested.
Legacy, Sensitive + Complex Claims
- Acting on behalf of the Government departments in relation to allegations of historic child sexual abuse.
- Inquiries, Investigations + Prosecutions
- Legacy, Sensitive + Complex Claims
- Personal Injury
- Professions + Business Services
- Public Sector + Education
- Marine + Transport
- Australian Insurance Law Association