Patrick is an experienced senior lawyer who specialises in public sector litigation.
Patrick has an extensive background in professional indemnity and public liability claims. He acts on behalf of government entities including the NSW Police Force, Family and Community Services, Department of Education, Department of Justice and NSW Health.
Patrick’s technical skills and understanding of the commercial aspects of claims management and litigation, together with understanding of the priorities of government agencies, allows him to work with his clients to achieve timely and appropriate outcomes that are consistent with their specific protocols and philosophy.
- Defending a claim in the NSW Court of Appeal in relation to a personal injury claim arising from an unlawful arrest: Fletcher v State of New South Wales  NSWCA 31.
- Successfully appealing to the NSW Court of Appeal on the issue of remoteness of damage: State of New South Wales v Cuthbertson  NSWCA 320.
- Defending a claim in the NSW Court of Appeal in relation to the user of a taser device: Benn v State of New South Wales  NSWCA 314.
- Successfully appealing to the NSW Court of Appeal in relation to the arrest of a suspect in a siege situation: State of New South Wales v Bouffler  NSWCA 185.
- Acting on behalf of NSW Police seeking leave to appeal to the High Court on the issue of when police officers can lawfully arrest a suspect: State of New South Wales v Robinson  NSWCA 334.
Public Sector + Education
- Advising the Department of Justice in relation to the issue of residual liberty.
- Acting and appearing for both the NSW Police Force and the Department of Justice in responding to subpoenas to produce; moving on notices of motion to have the subpoenas set aside.
- Acting on behalf of NSW Police and the Department of Justice in relation to a class action brought by young persons who alleged they were unlawfully arrested: Amom v State of New South Wales  NSWSC 1900.
Legacy, Sensitive + Complex Claims
- Acting on behalf of the Government departments in relation to allegations of historic child sexual abuse.
- Inquiries, Investigations + Prosecutions
- Legacy, Sensitive + Complex Claims
- Personal Injury
- Transport + Marine
- Professions + Business Services
- Public Sector + Education
- Transport + Marine
- Australia Insurance Law Association