Paul is the managing partner of Wotton + Kearney’s Brisbane office. He has practised since 2001 in insurance law and dispute resolution.
Paul specialises in public and product liability, first and third party property, professional negligence actions against construction professionals, and manages subrogated recovery actions across those insurance classes. He regularly advises multi-national and London market insurers operating in Australia, underwriting agencies, claims administrators and corporates which self-manage their insurance programs with a particular focus on the construction, commercial retail, and sport and leisure industries, as well as religious institutions.
Paul has considerable expertise handling claims across these industries and insurance classes, and is highly regarded by his clients for his service-oriented, considered and pragmatic approach to the dispute resolution process.
Paul is an active committee member of the Queensland Branch of Australian Insurance Law Association and the Property & Liability Discussion Group in NSW. He is also recognised as a leading public liability lawyer in Best Lawyers Australia and professional indemnity lawyer by the Doyles Guide.
- Successfully defending a government agency against an alleged failure to adequately inspect, maintain and repair an underground utility that catastrophically failed and damaged a pile wall at an adjacent development site.
- Successfully resolving various third party claims for a government agency following a landslip caused by a defect in an underground utility.
- Acting for members of a contractors’ alliance under a principal arranged insurance scheme in personal injury / occupier’s liability claims and claims following industrial accidents.
- Acting for the liability insurer and operator of immigration detention facilities in claims by former detainees, who allegedly sustained psychiatric injury while in detention.
- Advising the professional indemnity insurer of a nuclear engineering company involved in the design and construction of a nuclear power facility.
- Advising the professional indemnity insurer of a construction company engaged to install a ventilation system in a medical facility.
Construction + Contract Works
- Advising the plant insurer of a crane that collapsed on a construction site, and managing the subsequent subrogated recovery against third parties.
- Managing a recovery action for a multinational construction company and its insurer to recover losses from third parties for negligent manufacture, design and works.
- Accident, Health + Travel Claims
- Construction + Contract Works
- Healthcare + Lifesciences
- Personal Injury
- Professional Liability
- Property Damage (Third Party)
- Sports, Leisure + Entertainment Liability
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Industrial + Commercial Property
- Manufacturing + Consumer Goods
- Professions + Business Services
- Sports, Leisure + Entertainment
- Australia Insurance Law Association
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- Claims Discussion Group
- Law Society of NSW & QLD
- Property and Liability Discussion Group (Committee member)