Paul regularly advises local and international insurers, underwriting agencies and third party claims administrators in insurance litigation and dispute resolution. His clients operate in a broad range of industry sectors, including government.
His extensive expertise across general liability, financial lines, property and energy make him a go-to person for resolving complex insurance disputes. Paul has specialist knowledge in public and product liability, professional indemnity, property, contract works/construction and accident and health claims, and in subrogated recoveries.
Experienced in conducting claims in Federal, Queensland, New South Wales and ACT jurisdictions, Paul is highly regarded by clients for his service-oriented, considered and pragmatic approach to all aspects of the dispute resolution process.
As the leader of Wotton + Kearney’s Brisbane office, Paul is focused on ensuring that the Brisbane team anticipates clients’ demands and provides commercially astute advice.
Paul is an active committee member of the ANZIIF Property & Liability Discussion Group in NSW, and a regular contributor to key industry publications.
- Successfully defending a government agency against an alleged failure to adequately inspect, maintain and repair an underground utility that catastrophically failed and damaged a pile wall at an adjacent development site.
- Successfully resolving various third party claims for a government agency following a landslip caused by a defect in an underground utility.
- Acting for members of a contractors’ alliance under a principal arranged insurance scheme in personal injury / occupier’s liability claims and claims following industrial accidents.
- Acting for the liability insurer and operator of immigration detention facilities in claims by former detainees, who allegedly sustained psychiatric injury while in detention.
- Advising the professional indemnity insurer of a nuclear engineering company involved in the design and construction of a nuclear power facility.
- Advising the professional indemnity insurer of a construction company engaged to install a ventilation system in a medical facility.
Construction + Contract Works
- Advising the plant insurer of a crane that collapsed on a construction site, and managing the subsequent subrogated recovery against third parties.
- Managing a recovery action for a multinational construction company and its insurer to recover losses from third parties for negligent manufacture, design and works.
- Accident, Health + Travel Claims
- Construction + Contract Works
- Healthcare + Lifesciences
- Personal Injury
- Professional Liability
- Property Damage (Third Party)
- Sports, Leisure + Entertainment Liability
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Industrial + Commercial Property
- Manufacturing + Consumer Goods
- Professions + Business Services
- Sports, Leisure + Entertainment
- Australia Insurance Law Association
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- Claims Discussion Group
- Law Society of NSW & QLD
- Property and Liability Discussion Group (Committee member)