Peter has over 15 years of experience acting for professional indemnity insurers in the defence of negligence claims against a wide variety of professionals including solicitors, accountants, financial advisors, engineers, and many other construction and business professionals.
He has a deep insight into the area of professional negligence having also managed the professional negligence division of an ASX listed plaintiff law firm.
Peter has defended and prosecuted several professional negligence claims to trial and so is acutely aware of and can manage the risks associated with complex and sensitive pieces of litigation. He has also acted in the defence of hundreds of public liability claims both for local and international insurers and iconic self-insureds and strives for speedy and cost-effective resolutions.
Peter also specialises in providing high-level complex policy coverage advice across all lines of insurance, particularly professional indemnity, property and heavy motor products.
Peter is currently acting for many broad markets in respect of first-party property claims under contract works and ISR policies for losses up to $20 million.
- Acting for commercial project managers in relation to a Supreme Court claim for breach of contract and negligence brought by a developer relating to significant construction losses arising from an alleged failure concerning Fire Authority approvals for the development.
- Acting for a structural engineer in a multi-million-dollar litigated claim brought by a major Queensland building contractor concerning defective structural foundations of a 64-unit complex, case managed in the Supreme Court of Queensland.
- Acting for a structural engineer in relation to a high profile multi-million misleading and deceptive conduct and professional negligence claim case-managed in the Supreme Court of Queensland relating to defective concrete specifications used in the construction of a major Brisbane public walkway.
- Defence counsel appointment representing a director in defence of civil penalty proceedings commenced by the ACCC, alleging unconscionable conduct in relation to vocational education and training.
Coverage & Monitoring
- Advising an American excess layer insurer on policy coverage in relation to a multi-million dollar product liability dispute, addressing loss of use and product defect/workmanship exclusions in the primary layer insurer’s policy.
- Over a period of 14 years, Peter has provided numerous policy coverage opinions across PPL and PI policies for Australian and international insurers on matters such as interpretation of coverage clauses, policy conditions and exclusions, other insurance clauses, and has advised and acted in the defence and prosecution of dual insurance claims
- Defence counsel appointment by an international D&O Insurer for an officer of a GOC involved in Queensland Floods Commission of Inquiry and the subsequent Crime and Corruption Commission Investigation.
- Construction + Contract Works
- Directors + Officers Liability
- Industrial Special Risks
- Inquiries, Investigations + Prosecutions
- Professional Liability
- Subrogated Recoveries
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Financial Institutions + Services
- Transport + Marine
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group