Peter has over a decade of experience acting for professional indemnity insurers in the defence of negligence claims against a wide variety of professionals including solicitors, accountants, financial advisors, engineers, and many other construction and business professionals.
He has a deep insight into the area of professional negligence having also managed the professional negligence division of an ASX listed plaintiff law firm.
Peter has defended and prosecuted several professional negligence claims to trial and so is acutely aware of and can manage the risks associated with complex and sensitive pieces of litigation. He has also acted in the defence of hundreds of public liability claims both for local and international insurers and iconic self-insureds and strives for speedy and cost-effective resolutions.
Peter also specialises in providing high-level complex policy coverage advice across all lines of insurance, particularly professional indemnity, property and heavy motor products.
- Acting for an insurer of a financial advisory firm in a Federal Court class action relating to negligent financial advice and securing an early mediated resolution.
- Acting for a structural engineer in relation to a high profile multi-million misleading and deceptive conduct and professional negligence claim case-managed in the Supreme Court of Queensland relating to defective concrete specifications. Peter secured a favourable result at mediation prior to the litigation and defence costs significantly advancing.
- Acting as defence counsel for one of the four Wivenhoe Dam engineers in the Queensland Floods Commission of Inquiry which was one of the most high-profile public enquiries in Australia’s history.
- Acting for an after-hours medical service in respect of a $5 million claim by a quadruple amputee and securing abandonment of the claim against Peter’s client.
- Advising an American excess layer insurer on policy coverage in relation to a $15 million product liability dispute, addressing loss of use and product defect/workmanship exclusions in the primary layer insurer’s policy and assisting the insurer to resolve claim expeditiously thereafter.
- Peter was personally asked by an international heavy motor insurer to undertake a review of each State-specific policy issued by the insurer as well as the law in each State relating to heavy motor vehicle registration requirements and to advise on any amendments to policy clauses required to ensure the insurance policies complied with the law in each jurisdiction. Peter’s advice has been relied on by policy drafters to make significant changes to several of their policies.
- Class Actions
- Directors + Officers Liability
- Industrial Special Risks
- Inquiries, Investigations + Prosecutions
- Professional Liability
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Financial Institutions + Services
- Transport + Marine
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group