Richard acts for insurers and their clients on a variety of insurance disputes, with a focus on professional indemnity and management liability, including statutory liability and environmental impairment claims. Richard has specific experience in the construction, agricultural and healthcare sectors.
An advocate for alternative dispute resolution, Richard believes strongly in proactive and constructive litigation management to achieve commercial and efficient outcomes for his clients.
In addition to his experience in the civil and criminal jurisdictions, Richard has significant experience acting in disciplinary proceedings against professionals such as healthcare providers, engineers, real estate agents and solicitors.
Richard also handles a number of significant subrogated recoveries for insurers.
Construction & Infrastructure
- Successfully defending private insurers’ interests in He v The Earthquake Commission  NZHC 2136.
- Successfully representing the interests of structural engineers and their insurers in a significant Building Act 2004 determination process involving multiple commercial buildings, and associated Institution of Professional Engineers New Zealand disciplinary proceedings. Civil proceedings in connection with the same matter resolved accordingly.
- Representing the interests of a number of insurers of commercial buildings to settle claims for damages affected by the Canterbury and Kaikoura earthquakes.
- Defending a number of construction/property professionals, including engineers, architects, valuers, surveyors, project managers and real estate agents, in various civil proceedings involving weather tightness and other building/construction defects.
- Acting for multiple insurers and insureds in the recovery of large-scale standing timber losses arising from forest fires.
Healthcare & Lifesciences
- Successfully achieving the withdrawal of charges before the Health Practitioners Disciplinary Tribunal arising from substantial procedural defects in the Professional Conduct Committee’s processes.
- Representing a number of healthcare professionals in disciplinary investigations and proceedings, Privacy Act 1993 complaints, and Human Rights Review Tribunal matters.
Environment & Agricultural Impairment
- Defending operators in the agricultural and forestry sectors for insurers, in health and safety investigations and prosecutions, including a number of matters concerning fatalities.
- Achieving positive outcomes for agricultural and industrial operators and their clients in regulatory investigations and proceedings (including criminal and civil claims) involving actual and alleged environmental discharges.
- Environmental Liability
- Industrial Special Risks
- Inquiries, Investigations + Prosecutions
- Management Liability
- Personal Injury
- Professional Liability
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Healthcare + Life Sciences
- Professions + Business Services
- New Zealand Insurance Law Association