Richard acts for insurers and their clients on a variety of insurance disputes, with a focus on professional indemnity and management liability, including statutory liability and environmental impairment claims. Richard has specific experience in the construction, agricultural and healthcare sectors.
An advocate for alternative dispute resolution, Richard believes strongly in proactive and constructive litigation management to achieve commercial and efficient outcomes for his clients.
In addition to his experience in the civil and criminal jurisdictions, Richard has significant experience acting in disciplinary proceedings against professionals such as healthcare providers, engineers, real estate agents and solicitors.
Richard also handles a number of significant subrogated recoveries for insurers.
Richard has been recognised as in the Asia-Pacific Legal 500 2021 as a ‘Next Generation Partner’ .
Construction & Infrastructure
- Several ongoing High Court proceedings on behalf of construction professionals alleging defective earthquake assessments and repairs.
- Successfully representing the interests of structural engineers and their insurers in a significant Building Act 2004 determination process involving multiple commercial buildings, and associated Institution of Professional Engineers New Zealand disciplinary proceedings. Civil proceedings in connection with the same matter resolved accordingly.
- Successfully defending private insurers’ interests in He v The Earthquake Commission  NZCA 373.
- Representing the interests of a number of insurers of commercial buildings to settle claims for damages affected by the Canterbury and Kaikoura earthquakes.
- Defending a number of construction/property professionals, including engineers, architects, valuers, surveyors, project managers and real estate agents, in various civil proceedings involving weather tightness and other building/construction defects.
- Acting for multiple insurers and insureds in the recovery of large-scale standing timber losses arising from forest fires.
- Securing permanent name suppression and discharge without conviction for owner of six dogs who died on ferry crossing.
- Handling various investigations and prosecutions on behalf of private businesses and their insurers relating to alleged breaches of the Health and Safety and Environmental legislation.
- Defending operators in the agricultural and forestry sectors for insurers, in health and safety investigations and prosecutions, including a number of matters concerning fatalities.
Environment + Agricultural Impairment
- Reaching negotiated resolution of civil claims following animal tallow spill at port facility.
- Defending civil and environmental proceedings against construction contractor alleging illegal discharge of contaminated fill at cleanfill facility.
- Achieving positive outcomes for agricultural and industrial operators and their clients in regulatory investigations and proceedings (including criminal and civil claims) involving actual and alleged environmental discharges.
Healthcare + Life Sciences
- Defending multiple health agencies in proceedings before the Human Rights Review Tribunal.
- Representing a number of healthcare professionals in disciplinary investigations and proceedings, Privacy Act 1993 complaints, and Human Rights Review Tribunal matters.
- Successfully achieving the withdrawal of charges before the Health Practitioners Disciplinary Tribunal arising from substantial procedural defects in the Professional Conduct Committee’s processes.
- Environmental Liability
- Management Liability
- Professional Liability
- Property Damage (Third Party)
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Healthcare + Life Sciences
- Professions + Business Services
- New Zealand Insurance Law Association