Richard assists insurers with complex indemnity issues and is valued for his exceptional defence and negotiation skills in highly technical matters, particularly involving personal injury, workers’ liability, property damage, and management liability in the strata/owners corporation sector . His degrees in law and science means that he can quickly get to the crux of technical details in engineering, science and technology-based claims.
Richard is called by insurers and insured transport companies when they are faced with large-scale and heavy-vehicle claims. He also assists underwriters in subrogated recovery actions against contractors, suppliers and other third parties following loss, and in defending property damage and fire claims against product suppliers and manufacturers.
Richard has a special interest in sports-related injury claims, regularly advising insurers with claims in the sports, leisure and entertainment industry and is a member of the Law Institute of Victoria Sports Law Committee. He was awarded the ANZIIF 2017 EE Vines Memorial Award, for his article on concussion in sport.
His strong client-focused ethos has made him integral to the growth of Wotton + Kearney’s Melbourne general liability practice.
- Defending personal injury claims against product suppliers and manufacturers.
- Defending dust diseases claims against product suppliers, occupiers and employers.
- Defending property damage and fire claims against product suppliers and manufacturers, and claims arising from the supply of services.
Public Liability + Product Recall
- Acting for a large-volume bulk wine producer to recover its loss and damage following the use of defective wine additives purchased from third parties.
- Defending a range of public liability and occupiers’ liability claims brought against logistics companies, retirement villages and farmers.
- Defending claims brought against owners corporations and their committee members by lot owners in respect of breaches of relevant strata/owners corporation legislation.
- Defending claims brought against owners corporations and their committee members by service contractors arising from breach of contract.
- Acting for underwriters in subrogated recovery actions against contractors, suppliers and other third parties following loss, such as fire damage following a short circuit and electrical fire in a paper mill, flood damage following a pipe failure in an apartment complex, and acid clean-up costs caused by defective fork lift servicing.
- Acting for underwriters in a subrogated recovery pursued by way of international arbitration in Singapore against a Korean sub-supplier of automotive components.
Transport + Marine
- Defending statutory recovery actions brought by the Victorian WorkCover Authority and the Transport Accident Commission in the transport industry and related serious injury applications and common law damages claims.
- Advising underwriters in claims involving goods damaged in transit.
- Management Liability
- Personal Injury
- Product Liability + Recall
- Property Damage (Third Party)
- Sports, Leisure + Entertainment Liability
- Subrogated Recoveries
- Transport + Marine
- Manufacturing + Consumer Goods
- Sports, Leisure + Entertainment
- Strata/Owners Corporations + Managers
- Transport + Marine
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Law Institute of Victoria
- The Australian & New Zealand Sports Law Association