Ronald has broad experience in insurance litigation and works in Wotton + Kearney’s Financial Lines team with specialisations in professional indemnity and management liability claims. Ronald has also developed a range of experience in dealing with property disputes and subrogated recoveries.
Working across a range of key industry sectors, Ronald acts for insurers on coverage issues as well as defending insureds, including manufacturing and supply, engineering, surveying, valuation, financial planning and financial lines.
A key strength of Ronald’s is his ability to manage large-scale disputes involving multiple parties and stakeholders, along with complex liability and/or quantum issues. His approach to all matters is proactive with a focus on delivering pragmatic and cost-effective outcomes.
- Acting for quantity surveyors and civil engineers in defending claims for negligent costing / design / construction work. Ronald has also assisted insurers in reaching timely coverage decisions, particularly where construction-specific endorsements and exclusions are involved.
- Acting for financial planners and AFSLs in defending claims for negligent financial planning advice. Ronald has also advised on coverage issues arising from a variety of investment and insurance products.
- Acting for valuers in defending claims for negligent property valuations. Most recently, Ronald has achieved an excellent mediated outcome of 2 joint claims involving technical expert evidence and concurrent wrongdoing and contributory negligence issues.
- Acting for waste treatment / processing plants in respect of EPA investigations and prosecutions for alleged environmental contamination / discharge.
- Acting for a director in defending a claim from the collapse of a large Sunshine Coast property development.
Property / ISR
- Acting for an insured in defending a property damage claim to furniture manufacturing equipment. W+K assumed conduct of the litigation from another firm on the eve of a listed trial. Ronald assisted in the urgent preparation of the insured’s defence and evidence and achieved a stay of the proceeding with significant costs orders.
- Acting for a Hastie subsidiary in defending a claim for negligent subcontractor works. Ronald represented the insurer at an early mediation and applied strategic pressure on the other contractor parties. The claim was successfully settled at mediation at an amount well below indemnity reserve and costs reserves.
Subrogation & Recoveries
- Acting for London Underwriters in a subrogated recovery for a highrise fire caused by negligent electrician works. The recovery is in the order of $25 million for property damage and business interruption losses and involves complex expert evidence regarding fire origin and cause. Ronald assists in the daily conduct of the recovery, with a view to achieving an early outcome via negotiation or trial.
- Acting for Australian Underwriters in subrogated recovery for asbestos remediation at a natural gas facility. Ronald has assisted in detailed factual investigations regarding the likely source(s) of asbestos contamination and identifying viable recovery targets.
- Directors + Officers Liability
- Industrial Special Risks
- Management Liability
- Professional Liability
- Subrogated Recoveries
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Financial Institutions + Services
- Industrial + Commercial Property
- Professions + Business Services
- Sports, Leisure + Entertainment
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- Law Society of Queensland