Sam is a member of our Sydney General Liability team with a focus on personal injury, property damage, product liability and property & energy. She has a particular interest in understanding and advising on insurance coverage issues and the application of contractual indemnities.
Sam is involved in representing London underwriters and Australian insureds in claims arising out of mining incidents, construction/ building sites, premises undergoing refurbishment and major maintenance where property damage, personal injury, business interruption and consequential financial loss have been suffered. She regularly presents seminars to Insureds about risk management and liability law generally. Sam obtained a verdict for her client and an indemnity costs order against a plaintiff in her most recent trial.
Sam currently holds the position of Secretary for The Association for Women in Insurance, which has helped her forge strong relationships in the insurance community. She joined W+K with Lesley Woodmore in July 2016.
- Representing a principal who sought indemnity from a contractor’s insurer relying upon a contractual requirement to insure. The principal was successful and the Court of Appeal distinguished the leading case of Erect Safe Scaffolds.
- Defending a company who supplied generator sets not fit for purpose at a data station and obtaining a 100% contribution from a German supplier for misleading and deceptive conduct. This was then upheld in the Court of Appeal.
- Acting for the insurer of a Club whose employee activated an electronic awning causing a ladder to fall and a contractor to sustain injuries. In this case we were successful in having damages reduced by 50% to reflect contributory negligence.
- Defending a mining company who was reclaiming high tension cables, which dropped and seriously injured a sub-contractor. In this case we were successful in significantly reducing the sub-contractors claim for economic loss based on psychological injury.
- Acting in major property damage/business interruption claims arising from a fire in a turbine at a wind farm in South Australia.
- Personal Injury
- Product Liability + Recall
- Property Damage (Third Party)
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Energy, Mining + Power
- Association for Women in Insurance (Secretary)
- Law Society of NSW
- NSW Claims Discussion Group