Samantha is an experienced commercial litigator who has extensive experience in acting for individuals and institutions in Royal Commissions and inquiries. She has represented a Chief Commissioner of Victoria Police in the Royal Commission into the Management of Police Informants and several Northern Territory government departments in recent high-profile coronial inquests. Samantha was part of a team of lawyers who conducted an inquiry into the Darwin Greyhound Racing Association. She has also acted for an ASX-listed company and government departments in recent class actions, canvassing issues including conditions in regional processing centres and the treatment of Indigenous youth in custody.
Samantha is recognised for her ability to support clients through all stages of the litigation process. She has regularly assisted clients to reach agreeable resolutions in the early stages of disputes, and has prepared evidence and individuals for appearances in contentious matters involving reputational risk.
Her broader litigation experience includes representing and advising religious and other institutions in sensitive claims, including a secondment to support the General Counsel of a religious institution in managing a large portfolio of claims.
Royal Commissions + Inquiries
- Acted for the former (then sitting) Chief Commissioner of Victoria Police in the Royal Commission into the Management of Police Informants.
- Represented three Northern Territory government departments in the Inquest into the death of Holly Davidson, the Inquest into the death of Yuckamurro, and the Inquest into the death of Raylene Dick.
- Conducted, as part of a team of lawyers, the Inquiry into the Darwin Greyhound Racing Association in the Northern Territory, and drafted interim and final reports for the Northern Territory Department of Industry, Tourism and Trade.
- Represented a Chief Operating Officer of a major Australian bank in an internal inquiry conducted under the Banking Executive Accountability Regime.
- Represented a bishop and archbishop in two separate case studies in the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.
- Assisted in a team acting for ASX corporation, Broadspectrum, in Kamasee v The Commonwealth and Ors – a class action commenced by 1,900 group members in immigration detention regarding the provision of services in the Manus Island Regional Processing Centre.
- Assisted the solicitor for the Northern Territory in defending a class action brought by former detainees of the Don Dale Youth Detention Centre.
- Acted for the Northern Territory Government and Northern Territory Department of Health in a class action commenced by residents of a remote community regarding the provision of health and interpreter services.
- Class Actions
- Commercial Litigation
- Healthcare + Life Sciences
- Inquiries, Investigations + Prosecutions
- Legacy, Sensitive + Complex Claims
- Manufacturing + Consumer Goods
- Public Sector + Education
- City of Sydney Law Society
- Law Society of New South Wales