Sarah practises in large and complex insurance disputes, specialising in financial lines products. She advises local and London underwriters on a wide range of coverage and liability issues and defends insureds, in both litigated and un-litigated claims, in the areas of professional indemnity, environmental liability, construction and financial services.
Sarah previously worked for a large international firm and, through a secondment with a large international insurer, gained a practical understanding of the results and expectations of insurer clients.
She has litigation experience in the New South Wales courts (local, district and Supreme), as well as the Human Rights Commission, Coroner’s Court and various tribunals. Sarah also has experience across a range of jurisdictions including Victoria, Queensland and Western Australia.
Sarah adopts a pragmatic approach when advising clients in disputes that involve difficult and complex issues, identifying legal risks, and advising on the best commercial strategies to defend claims.
- Defending a wide range of professionals, including accountants, engineers, architects, builders, real estate agents and financial planners, in claims for negligence and breach of contract.
- Defending an architect’s design and project management work regarding the construction of a school, following a dispute concerning alleged faulty design and variations.
- Acting in defence of a valuer in proceedings brought by a mortgage insurer, arising from loans that involved identity fraud, negligence by the loan originator and negligence by the lender.
- Advising insurers on policy coverage issues arising out of financial services remediation schemes.
- Acting for an Australian financial services licensee in defending complex financial planning advice involving geared investments and superannuation.
- Advising insurers and acting on behalf of financial services licensees regarding multiple complaints arising from allegedly negligent financial planning advice.
Directors + Officers
- Defending a senior officer of a listed multinational childcare provider in a $450 million Supreme Court claim brought by a big 4 bank regarding alleged misrepresentation arising from a $600 million institutional fund raising.
- Financial Institutions + Services
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Professions + Business Services
- NSW Law Society
- NSW Claims Discussion Group
- NSW Young Lawyers
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Australiasian Professional Indemnity Group