Scott has diverse experience in General Liability insurance litigation across all applicable legislative regimes in Queensland. He specialises in public liability and navigating pre-court procedures pursuant to the Personal Injuries Proceedings Act 2002 (PIPA). He also conducts Coronial and Workplace Health and Safety investigation and prosecution defence work, and engineering/construction professional complaint and regulatory matters.
Scott acts for a variety of London market underwriters, TPAs and well known private and publicly listed companies with large self-insured retentions. He is able to deliver a genuine client-focused approach by adapting their preferred claims management approach. His focus in all claims is to consistently deliver clear and simple advice, based on superior technical expertise.
Scott has acted for defendant insurers in multi-million dollar catastrophic injury claims, a national supermarket retailer, a statutory workers’ compensation authority and in innumerable multi-party claims in the construction, mining, property and labour-hire industry as well as a number of accident & health coverage disputes.
Scott provides pro bono assistance to LawRight (formerly QPILCH) to facilitate its self-representation assistance service and is the Queensland branch treasurer of the Young Insurance Professionals.
- Acted for a defendant law firm in respect of a claim for physical and psychological injuries by a former employee, complicated by the employee’s forgery of court documents on client related matters.
- Acted in a multi-party mining industry claim through trial and judgment, securing:
- majority contribution from co-defendants; and
- an order that those defendants pay the entirety of his client’s costs.
- Acted in defence of a company subject to a prosecution under the Work Health and Safety Act 2011, causing the prosecution to drop a key element of its Complaint related to prior actual knowledge of the relevant risk on the part of the defendant company, and associated reduced penalty.
- Acting in respect of a company being investigated by Workplace Health and Safety and the State Coroner for a multiple fatality incident at its premises.
- Successfully defending an application for extension of the limitation period pursuant to section 31 of the Limitation of Actions Act 1974.
- Acted for engineers and certifiers in respect of professional complaints to the Board of Registered Professional Engineers of Queensland and Queensland Building and Construction Commission.
- Accident, Health + Travel Claims
- Employment Practices Liability
- Inquiries, Investigations + Prosecutions
- Legacy, Sensitive + Complex Claims
- Management Liability
- Personal Injury
- Subrogated Recoveries
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Energy, Mining + Power
- Industrial + Commercial Property
- Retail + Labour Hire
- Australia Insurance Law Association
- Young Insurance Professionals
- Queensland Law Society