Sean assists domestic and Lloyd’s market insurers with personal injury, workers liability/recovery and third party property damage. He has earned a strong reputation with clients for combining pragmatic, commercial advice with proactivity in the early stages of a claim to deliver the best outcomes for them.
As leader of the firm’s Accident & Health practice, Sean also makes sure that the team delivers seamless service and the best results for clients. His work for insurers and healthcare practitioners on accident and health-related claims includes advising on the wording and application of exclusion clauses for numerous pre-existing conditions and criminal acts. Sean advises on key provisions of the ICA and SIS Act educating in-house claims teams in this area. He is also seen as the go-to lawyer on key provisions of the Insurance Contracts Act 1984 (Cth) and Superannuation Industry (Supervision) Act 1993 (Cth).
Sean regularly shares his technical knowledge and experience with in-house claims teams, and presents to clients and industry forums on developments affecting the future of the insurance sector.
Sean is recognised as a leading lawyer for Insurance Law and Personal Injury Litigation in The Best Lawyers 2022 and was listed as Lawyer of the Year for Personal Injury Litigation and as a leading lawyer for Insurance Law by The Best Lawyers 2021.
- Acting for insurers and the providers of recreational services, including members of the domestic and foreign travel industry, water parks, indoor play centres, game shooters, amusement rides, golf courses, hoteliers and major event organisers, on personal injury claims following accidents, assaults and the service of alcohol.
- Defending Government and NGOs in respect of claims arising from historical sexual abuse.
- Acting for the insurers of domestic and foreign manufactured products, industrial cleaning equipment and various sporting goods, in personal injury claims.
- Defending builders, sheet pilers, scaffolders, crane operators and other building industry contractors in personal injury claims, including advice on differing forms of insurance and indemnity clauses.
- Defending builders, crane operators, scaffolders and various building industry contractors in property damage claims, including advising on different forms of insurance and indemnity clauses.
- Acting for the insurers of domestic and foreign-manufactured products in property damage claims.
- Defending owners of a commercial premises following the collapse of a factory wall causing $15 million damage to a neighbour’s property.
- Providing coverage advice about multi-million dollar product contamination claims following a mouse plague.
- Providing coverage advice in relation to the application of Professional Services exclusions on numerous claims involving Real Estate Agents, Arborists, Pest Inspectors, Engineering firms and Managing Agents.
- Providing advice on the application of “reasonable care” conditions in respect of claims for grossly negligent property damage and associated class action.
- Numerous claims involving property damage resulting from defective building works and the application of faulty workmanship exclusions.
- Accident, Health + Travel Claims
- Personal Injury
- Professional Liability
- Property Damage (Third Party)
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Industrial + Commercial Property
- Property & Real Estate
- Public Sector + Education
- Sports, Leisure +Entertainment
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group (Committee Member)
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Australia New Zealand Institute of Insurance and Finance
- NSW Claims Discussion Group
- Commercial Lawyers Association