Shane is experienced advising on material damage, business interruption and general liability matters, including litigation arising from the Canterbury and Kaikoura earthquakes. He regularly appears in the District Court, High Court, Canterbury Earthquake Insurance Tribunal, and in mediations and judicial settlement conferences. He also advises on compliance, fire and general, public and product liability, and statutory liability matters.
He is recognised as an effective advocate with a particular specialty in negotiating and/or mediating successful outcomes. Clients praise his ability to collaborate with their businesses, distil issues, and provide digestible, pragmatic and commercial advice that is easily understood by all.
Shane has been recognised as a ‘Rising Star’ in the Asia Pacific Legal 500 2021 insurance rankings and was named in the inaugural NZ Lawyer Rising Stars list for 2020. He was also a finalist for Young Private Practitioner of the Year in NZ Lawyer for 2020.
Material Damage + Business Interruption
- Acting for a large insurer in three of its largest litigated commercial earthquake claims arising from the Kaikoura earthquake involving complex policy response issues and damage assessments. Assisted with getting successful mediated and negotiated outcomes in two of these, with the last scheduled for hearing in the High Court in October 2022.
- Acting for a private insurer in defending a claim arising from the Canterbury earthquakes, which involved complex extent of cover issues. Negotiated a successful outcome prior to hearing.
- Advising and acting on various other complex material damage and business interruption disputes for insurers in numerous District Court, High Court and Canterbury Earthquake Insurance Tribunal proceedings arising out of the Canterbury earthquake, including claims alleging defective earthquake assessments and repairs.
General Liability / Recoveries
- Acting for an insurer in its two largest recovery actions against EQC arising out of the Canterbury earthquakes. These recoveries involved novel causes of actions on restitution and subrogation principles arising from the relationship between land insurance, building insurance and excess insurers. The actions resulted in successful negotiated outcomes.
- Acting for a building contractor in defending a claim for liability arising from a diesel spill at a hospital construction site. Negotiating a successful settlement and currently acting in pursuit of the responsible subcontractor through a subrogated recovery action.
- Defending a contractor against a claim from a subcontractor for loss arising from the collapse of a coffer dam in a large, multi-year construction project.
- Handling regulatory investigations and prosecutions for private businesses and their insurers relating to breaches of Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 and Resource Management Act 1991.
- Product Liability + Recall
- Property - Commercial
- Property - Major Loss
- Property - Subrogation
- Property Damage (Third Party)
- Material Damage + Business Interruption
- Industrial + Commercial Property
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Professions + Business Services
- New Zealand Law Society
- New Zealand Insurance Law Association