Stephen specialises in advising local and global insurers, and their insured clients, on technology liability claims (both coverage and defence) and recoveries arising from cyber claims.
He has extensive experience advising insurers on strategies for favourably resolving claims against insureds and coverage disputes.
Stephen uses his technical and strategic expertise to achieve the best possible commercial outcomes for his clients.
Technology Liability – Defence
- Acting on behalf of a managed services provider (MSP) in multiple claims by its former clients following a ransomware attack on the MSP.
- Acting on behalf of an MSP in a claim brought by its largest client following a denial-of-service attack.
- Acting on behalf of an MSP in a claim brought by one of its clients following a ransomware attack suffered by the client.
- Acting on behalf of a mobile application developer in defence of a claim brought in respect of an allegedly defective app.
- Acting on behalf of an Australian defence contractor in a claim brought by a former client regarding the provision of a communications detection system for several military vessels for alleged breach of contract and negligence.
- Acting on behalf of a point-of-sale software developer in the defence of a claim brought against it by an aggrieved client for alleged breach of contract, negligence, and misleading or deceptive conduct.
Technology Liability – Coverage
- Advising various insurers on coverage issues arising under IT liability policies following cyberattacks suffered by IT companies, which typically involve the compromise of both the IT company’s and its clients’ networks and data.
- Advising an insurer on coverage available under an IT liability policy regarding claims against a developer arising out of alleged deficiencies in the insured’s software.
- Acting on behalf of the successful property valuer in Todd Hadley Pty Limited v Lake Maintenance (NSW) Pty Ltd [No 2]  NSWCA 81.
- Acting for the successful liquidators in Aardwolf Industries LLC & Anor v Tayer & Anor  NSWCA 301.
- Acting on behalf of a global engineering company in respect of a claim brought in the Supreme Court of the ACT involving alleged professional negligence.
- Acting for surveyors in a $90 million boundary and easement dispute arising from a major commercial and residential development in Sydney.
- Acting on behalf of an ASX-listed company in a claim brought in the Supreme Court of NSW on behalf of various covenant holders in a forest investment scheme.
- Advising an insurer on issues arising from a business email compromise that resulted in the theft of significant funds and a negligence claim against the compromised business.
- Class Actions
- Healthcare + Life Sciences
- Professional Liability
- Technology Liability
- Technology + Cyber
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- Young Insurance Professionals
- NSW Claims Discussion Group