Suzanne is an experienced financial lines lawyer, handling professional indemnity, management liability and directors and officers’ claims. She assists insurers and their financial institution and professional customers in actions before the courts and with regulatory investigations and enquiries, including by ASIC, the Financial Ombudsman Service and Worksafe Victoria.
Suzanne has developed a niche representing insurers where there are allegations of insolvent trading, civil fraud, crime and breaches of directors’ duties. Her diploma in financial planning means that she brings financial literacy, as well as legal experience, to delivering the best outcome for her clients.
Her inquiries and investigations work has extended to defending institutional abuse cases and advising a large insurer of institutions on policy and broader insurance issues, like those arising from the Commonwealth Redress Scheme. Through two secondments with a large international insurer, Suzanne gained a practical understanding of the results claims teams want to achieve, and translates that knowledge into her every-day work.
Suzanne participates in Wotton + Kearney’s Community Footprint pro bono program and volunteers at the Seniors’ Rights Legal Service Clinic.
- Acting in unfair preference claims, including claims for indemnity against directors brought by the Commissioner of Taxation.
- Defending litigated and unlitigated matters for schools involving allegations of sexual assault and advising on the insurance implications of the Commonwealth Redress Scheme.
- Acting for insurers in claims for indemnity arising from large IT project disputes.
- Representing a financial advisory firm whose authorised representative defrauded clients of more than $2 million. Claims were brought by multiple former clients through the Financial Ombudsman Service and in court proceedings.
- Defending a defamation claim brought against a local council employee.
- Acting for a local councillor in an appeal from disciplinary misconduct findings at a panel level.
Directors + Officers
- Defending directors of an independent school, on instructions from management liability insurers, against a multi-million dollar insolvent trading claim.
- Acting for reinsurers following major losses at one of Australia’s big four banks.
- Acting for structural engineers in a multi-million dollar residential building defects claim in VCAT and representing the client at the mediation and settlement conference.
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction + Contract Works
- Directors + Officers Liability
- Management Liability
- Professional Liability
- Financial Institutions + Services
- Professions + Business Solutions
- Small Medium Enterprises (SME)
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- Women in Insurance