Tim is widely recognised for his expertise in handling complex matters involving property, professional indemnity, D&O, public and products liability and construction insurance policies. He is highly experienced in litigation, arbitration and mediation across a range of jurisdictions and sectors, including construction, mining and resources, energy, oil and gas.
Tim is qualified in both Australia and the UK and regularly advises multi-national corporations, insurance and reinsurance companies, Lloyds’ underwriters and financial institutions on claims, coverage issues and recoveries.
Tim is recognised as a leading lawyer for Insurance Law by The Best Lawyers in Australia 2021 and 2020, and was mentioned in the Legal 500 UK rankings during his time in London (2011-2014).
Directors + Officers
- Acting as defence counsel for a high-profile executive director of an ASX-listed mining and exploration company in a claim that alleged breaches of directors’ duties arising from a failure to conduct sufficient due diligence before making an investment in an international mining project.
- Acting as defence counsel for an officer of a large international consolidated services company regarding allegations of misleading and deceptive conduct in the course of negotiating a large commercial services conduct.
- Acting as coverage and monitoring counsel for underwriters in relation to a D&O claim brought against several directors and officers of an ASX-listed manganese mining and exploration company, arising from alleged breaches of directors’ duties.
- Acting as defence counsel for an ASX listed engineering services contractor in claims arising from the design and construction of a mine processing facility in the UK. This complex high-value claim involved a range of technical issues (including low frequency noise emissions) and legal issues (including liability issues arising under English law).
- Acting as defence counsel for an ASX-listed EPCM contractor with regard to a claims relating to the design and construction of mine processing facilities at a major West Australian iron ore mine.
- Acting as defence counsel for a multinational professional services company in a claim alleging that it breached its professional duties in providing advice and services for a major West Australian infrastructure project.
Public + Products Liability
- Advising underwriters on coverage issues arising from a large number of claims made against a major Australian home building company relating to the use of ‘waffle slabs’.
- Acting for insurers in claims made under a historical Lloyds’ liability policy. The claims arose from class actions in the Australian courts that sought damages for individuals who had been catastrophically injured by exposure to pharmaceutical products.
- Advising insurers on large claims arising out of the Black Saturday bush fires.
Property (First party)
- Advising on coverage in a material damage and business interruption claim arising from a fire at a mobile telephone exchange.
- Advising insurers on coverage under a material damage and business interruption policy regarding water damage to a nightclub and on a related dispute.
- Advising insurers on coverage under a material damage and business interruption policy regarding a claim for damage to the external glazing system of an office building.
- Conducting a recovery claim against a geotechnical engineer arising from advice given about the design and construction of a mining facility in Africa.
- Advising insurers on coverage under a contract works policy regarding water damage to tunnel boring machines in the course of a major infrastructure project in the Middle East.
- Advising insurers on subrogation prospects and strategy regarding damage to an offshore oil production riser.
Construction + Contract Works
- Advising insurers on coverage under a contract works policy regarding damage to beach replenishment’s works on a Pacific island caused by a tropical cyclone.
- Advising insurers on coverage in claims made under a construction all risks policy arising out of the failure of a layer of asphalt laid as part of upgrade works on a major highway.
Energy, Mining + Power
- Advising insurers on coverage regarding a large claim made under a construction all risks policy relating to defects identified in the welds forming part of a pipeline system delivering coal seam gas (CSG) to a liquefied natural gas (LNG) facility.
- Advising insurers on policy coverage arising from damage to an onshore pipeline, which formed part of an onshore oil production facility and the contamination of surrounding land.
- Construction + Contract Works
- Directors + Officers Liability
- Industrial Special Risks
- Management Liability
- Product Liability + Recall
- Professional Liability
- Property Damage (Third Party)
- Subrogated Recoveries
- Energy, Mining + Power
- Oil + Gas
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Australian Insurance Law Association