Tim is widely recognised for his expertise in handling complex matters involving property, professional indemnity, D&O, public and products liability and construction insurance policies. He is highly experienced in litigation, arbitration and mediation across a range of jurisdictions and sectors, including construction, mining and resources, energy, oil and gas.
Tim is qualified in both Australia and the UK and regularly advises multi-national corporations, insurance and reinsurance companies, Lloyds’ underwriters and financial institutions on claims, coverage issues and recoveries.
He is named by Best Lawyers in Australia 2020 and was mentioned in the Legal 500 UK rankings during his time in London (2011-2014).
Directors + Officers
- Acting as defence counsel for a high-profile executive director of an ASX-listed mining and exploration company in a claim that alleged breaches of directors’ duties arising from a failure to conduct sufficient due diligence before making an investment in an international mining project.
- Acting as defence counsel for an officer of a large international consolidated services company regarding allegations of misleading and deceptive conduct in the course of negotiating a large commercial services conduct.
- Acting as coverage and monitoring counsel for underwriters in relation to a D&O claim brought against several directors and officers of an ASX-listed manganese mining and exploration company, arising from alleged breaches of directors’ duties.
- Acting as defence counsel for an ASX listed engineering services contractor in claims arising from the design and construction of a mine processing facility in the UK. This complex high-value claim involved a range of technical issues (including low frequency noise emissions) and legal issues (including liability issues arising under English law).
- Acting as defence counsel for an ASX-listed EPCM contractor with regard to a claims relating to the design and construction of mine processing facilities at a major West Australian iron ore mine.
- Acting as defence counsel for a multinational professional services company in a claim alleging that it breached its professional duties in providing advice and services for a major West Australian infrastructure project.
Public + Products Liability
- Advising underwriters on coverage issues arising from a large number of claims made against a major Australian home building company relating to the use of ‘waffle slabs’.
- Acting for insurers in claims made under a historical Lloyds’ liability policy. The claims arose from class actions in the Australian courts that sought damages for individuals who had been catastrophically injured by exposure to pharmaceutical products.
- Advising insurers on large claims arising out of the Black Saturday bush fires.
Property (First party)
- Advising on coverage in a material damage and business interruption claim arising from a fire at a mobile telephone exchange.
- Advising insurers on coverage under a material damage and business interruption policy regarding water damage to a nightclub and on a related dispute.
- Advising insurers on coverage under a material damage and business interruption policy regarding a claim for damage to the external glazing system of an office building.
- Conducting a recovery claim against a geotechnical engineer arising from advice given about the design and construction of a mining facility in Africa.
- Advising insurers on coverage under a contract works policy regarding water damage to tunnel boring machines in the course of a major infrastructure project in the Middle East.
- Advising insurers on subrogation prospects and strategy regarding damage to an offshore oil production riser.
Construction + Contract Works
- Advising insurers on coverage under a contract works policy regarding damage to beach replenishment’s works on a Pacific island caused by a tropical cyclone.
- Advising insurers on coverage in claims made under a construction all risks policy arising out of the failure of a layer of asphalt laid as part of upgrade works on a major highway.
Energy, Mining + Power
- Advising insurers on coverage regarding a large claim made under a construction all risks policy relating to defects identified in the welds forming part of a pipeline system delivering coal seam gas (CSG) to a liquefied natural gas (LNG) facility.
- Advising insurers on policy coverage arising from damage to an onshore pipeline, which formed part of an onshore oil production facility and the contamination of surrounding land.
- Construction + Contract Works
- Directors + Officers Liability
- Industrial Special Risks
- Management Liability
- Product Liability + Recall
- Professional Liability
- Property Damage (Third Party)
- Subrogated Recoveries
- Energy, Mining + Power
- Oil + Gas
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Australian Insurance Law Association