Trent is an experienced insurance lawyer and litigator with a focus on professional indemnity, property, liability, recovery and maritime claims. He also advises local and global insurers on policy coverage and represents insurers and insureds in claims across state and federal jurisdictions.
Trent works extensively in professional indemnity matters involving financial services licensees, finance brokers, builders, real estate agents and psychologists and has appeared at the Magistrates Court, District Court, Supreme Court and Federal Court, and acted as junior counsel in a protracted Supreme Court trial, which later went on appeal.
Trent provides liability, quantum, recovery and strategic management advices over a wide range of claims and prides himself on providing proactive and early advice that focuses on obtaining the best resolution for his clients.
Trent is also a committee member of the Western Australian branch of the Australian Professional Indemnity Group which arranges and hosts educational and networking events for insurance professionals and others involved in the professional and financial risks insurance market.
- Defending a financial planner/advisor in relation to a claim made by a former client in the Supreme Court of Western Australia, alleging that they were provided with negligent financial advice and/or that the financial services licensee had engaged in misleading and deceptive conduct.
- Defending financial services licensees in relation to complaints made against them at the Financial Ombudsman Service alleging inappropriate financial advice.
- Defending a builder in relation to a claim made by a former client at the State Administrative Tribunal of Western Australia for negligent design of a stormwater drainage system. The matter later went on appeal to the Supreme Court of Western Australia.
- Defending a director of an ASX listed company responding to allegations of misleading and deceptive statements made to the market.
- Defending a finance broker in relation to a claim made by a former client at the Supreme Court of Western Australia, regarding the completion of loan applications and the alleged provision of financial advice.
- Defending an accountant in relation to allegedly negligent advice as to the transferring of land and the imposition of transfer/stamp duty.
- Defending a civil engineer in relation to defending a claim of breach of contract and negligence in relation to their handling of the disposal of suspected asbestos material at a development site.
- Acting for insurers in a subrogated recovery matter seeking to recover damages suffered to a property by a fire which began and spread from the collapse of an electricity pole on a rural property.
- Acting for insurers in a subrogated recovery matter seeking to recover for fire damage caused to property by a fire starting in a commercial tenancy within a commercial shopping complex.
- Acting for insurers in a subrogated recovery matter seeking to recover for damage / cracking sustained to an insured’s property caused by construction at a neighbouring property.
- Acting on behalf of a trucking company seeking to recover against the supplier of a defective tyre the damages suffered to its truck and trailers during a motor vehicle accident.
- Acting for the insurer of a state government in defending a claim brought by a utilities provider for damage caused to utility services during a construction project.
- Acting for the liability insurers of a firm of ship repairers who are being sued at the Supreme Court of Western Australia in relation to modifications that they carried out on a vessel which was later found sunk off the coast of Western Australia with multiple people on board.
Property Damage / General Liability
- Financial Institutions
- Professional Liability
- Property Damage (Third Party)
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Financial Institutions + Services
- Industrial + Commercial Property
- Transport + Marine
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- Young Insurance Professionals