Trent is an experienced insurance lawyer and litigator with a focus on professional indemnity, property, liability, recovery and maritime claims. He also advises local and global insurers on policy coverage and represents insurers and insureds in claims across state and federal jurisdictions.
Trent works extensively in professional indemnity matters involving financial services licensees, finance brokers, builders, real estate agents, architects, engineers, agronomists and psychologists. He has appeared at the Magistrates Court, District Court, Supreme Court, and Federal Court and Federal Circuit Court, and acted as junior counsel in a protracted Supreme Court trial, which later went on appeal.
Trent provides liability, quantum, recovery and strategic management advices over a wide range of claims and prides himself on providing proactive and commercial advice that focuses on obtaining the best resolution for his clients.
Trent is also a committee member of the Western Australian branch of the Australian Professional Indemnity Group which arranges and hosts educational and networking events for insurance professionals and others involved in the professional and financial risks insurance market.
- Defending a financial planner/advisor in relation to a multi-million dollar claim made by a former client in the Supreme Court of Western Australia, alleging that they were provided with negligent financial advice and/or that the financial services licensee had engaged in misleading and deceptive conduct.
- Defending a builder in relation to a claim made by a former client at the State Administrative Tribunal of Western Australia for negligent design of a stormwater drainage system. The matter later went on appeal to the Supreme Court of Western Australia.
- Defending a director of an ASX listed company responding to allegations of misleading and deceptive statements made to the market.
- Defending a finance broker in relation to a claim made by a former client at the Supreme Court of Western Australia, regarding the alleged fraudulent completion of loan applications and provision of financial advice.
- Defending an agronomist in relation to allegations that they provided inadequately advice relating to the need to spray weeds on commercial farming property which led to loss of moisture in the relevant paddocks and consequentially lost revenue/yields.
- Defending a real estate agent in relation to allegations that they incorrectly overcharged rent, management fees and operating/capital expenses.
- Defending an accountant in relation to allegedly negligent advice as to the transferring of land and the imposition of transfer/stamp duty.
- Defending a civil engineer in relation to a claim of breach of contract and negligence in relation to their handling of the disposal of suspected asbestos material at a development site.
- Defending an architect in relation to alleged failure to obtain Development Approval with a Local Government relating to a failed property development.
- Defending an Australian Finance Services Licensees holder in relation to alleged misleading and deceptive statements made in a Product Disclosure Statement regarding a regional development.
- Defending financial planners and finance brokers at the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) in relation to complaints alleging inappropriate/negligent financial advice.
- Defending registered psychologists in disciplinary proceedings brought by the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA).
Property Damage / General Liability
- Acting for insurers in relation to a fire which began and spread from the collapse of an electricity pole on a rural property causing damages in excess of $40 million.
- Acting for insurers in a subrogated recovery matter seeking to recover for fire damage caused to property by a fire starting in a commercial tenancy within a commercial shopping complex.
- Acting for insurers in a multi-million dollar subrogated recovery matter seeking to recover for damage caused by inadequate piling works on a property which caused significant damage to a neighbouring property.
- Acting on behalf of a trucking company seeking to recover against the supplier of a defective tyre the damages suffered to its truck and trailers during a motor vehicle accident.
- Acting for the insurer of a state government in defending a claim brought by a utilities provider for damage caused to utility services during a construction project.
- Acting for the liability insurers of a firm of ship repairers who are being sued at the Supreme Court of Western Australia in relation to modifications that they carried out on a vessel which was later found sunk off the coast of Western Australia with multiple people on board. Trent also represented the ship repairers at the corresponding Coronial Inquest.
- Financial Institutions
- General Liability
- Professional Liability
- Property Damage (Third Party)
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Financial Institutions + Services
- Property + Real Estate
- Transport + Marine
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- Young Insurance Professionals