Tshering has practised almost exclusively as an insurance lawyer throughout his career. Tshering advises local and overseas-based insurers on claims in the property, infrastructure, transport, mining, manufacturing, power generation and construction sectors. Tshering routinely provides coverage advice and acts in the defence of litigated claims involving large-scale infrastructure projects and building developments. Tshering is also accomplished in pursuing subrogated recoveries.
Tshering is committed to delivering the best commercial outcomes for clients and is skilled in developing and implementing strategies to achieve those outcomes. Prior to joining W+K, Tshering worked in New Zealand on three of the country’s largest insurance claims (high volume and high-value claims) arising from the 2010/2011 Christchurch Earthquakes. He has acted for both the insureds and insurers and has a deep appreciation of the commercial drivers for the insureds and insurers when dealing with large scale claims.
Tshering is an active contributor to our Pro Bono Programme and assists in the refugee appeal matters at the Federal Circuit Court.
Construction + Contract Works
- Advising underwriters of the Contracts Works Policy on claims arising from cracking to marina structures.
- Advising underwriters of the Contract Works Policy on claims arising from a storm event damage to a high-rise apartment under construction.
- Advising underwriters of the Design and Construct Professional Indemnity Policy in relation to claims arising from the defective design of sports courts at multiples schools.
- Advising local insurers on claims arising from defective maintenance and repairs carried out by a contractor to a power generator.
- Advising local underwriters of Commercial Fleet Insurance Policy in relation to third-party claims against the Insured arising from the collision between the Insured’s vehicle and a container train.
- Acting for the ISR insurer of a commercial building owner in a recovery arising from fire damage to the building due to tenant’s negligence.
- Acting for the ISR insurer in a subrogated action in the Supreme Court proceedings against a labour hire company whose employee had caused damage to the electrical flying lines used in undersea exploration.
- Advising an insurer on policy coverage under material damage and business interruption policies on claims arising from damage to property and stock of a retail insurer in the flooding event.
- Acting for the insured (local council), in a team of lawyers, advising on indemnity, managing and resolving insured’s high value insurance claims under the material damage and business interruption policy arising from the earthquake damage to widespread assets (including a stadium, buildings, heritage assets, churches, water reservoirs, pump stations).
- Acting for the insured (port company), in a team of lawyers, advising on indemnity and managing and resolving insured’s high value insurance claims under the material damage and business interruption policy arising from the earthquake damage to its port facilities (including wharf and container terminals).
- Acting, in a team of loss adjusters, for the underwriters subscribing to material damage and business interruptions policies on claims arising from damage to 5,500 residential properties in the Christchurch earthquakes.
- Commercial Property
- Construction + Contract Works
- Industrial Special Risks
- Subrogated Recoveries
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Energy, Mining + Power
- Industrial + Commercial Property
- Manufacturing + Consumer Goods
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- NSW Claims Discussion Group
- NSW Law Society