For over a decade, Will has specialised in insurance law and now leads our WA-based operations in Perth. His passion for the sector has equipped him with skills to handle a diverse range of claims for key industry clients.
Will specialises in public, products and property damage claims with a particular focus on building, construction and mining-related disputes based in Western Australia. He has acted in multiple claims involving catastrophic injuries sustained at various mining operations and construction sites throughout Western Australia. Will also acts in environmental liability and toxic contamination claims.
In Perth, Will’s secondary area of practice focuses on large-scale and domestic subrogated recovery actions for many local and international insures. This includes recovery actions arising from minor defective building and construction works to more complex recoveries arising from losses sustained due to breakdowns in large plant and equipment at various mining operations. He also advises clients on contractual indemnity, dual insurance and policy coverage issues.
Will regularly appears at mediations and in courtrooms in multiple jurisdictions representing local councils, manufacturers and occupiers. He presents educational seminars on personal and property damage claims topics directed to insurers and brokers based in Perth and on the East Coast. Will is also a current presiding member of the West Australian Football Commission (WAFL) Tribunal, a position he has held since 2017.
- Acting in a number of complex and multi-party tort claims including claims involving catastrophic injury and death as a consequence of improper mining and construction practices throughout Western Australia.
- Defending claims on behalf of builders, scaffolders, crane operators, manufacturers and elevator maintenance providers in relation to construction site injuries, breaches of occupational health and safety legislation and fatalities.
Construction + Contract Works
- Acting on behalf of large Australian-based insurer in contract-works dispute over fire causing damage work several millions of dollars caused by paint-soaked rags.
- Acting on behalf of insurers of an engineering firm specialising in energy integration and building automation in relation to alleged negligence during the construction of premises in Perth, Western Australia
Energy + Mining
- Acting on behalf of several of Western Australia’s largest energy and mining companies and their insurers in relation to various litigated disputes.
- Acting on behalf of large oil and gas company in relation to damaged pipeline works in northern Western Australia.
- Representing a large manufacturer of building products in a group proceeding where contribution was being sought from another manufacturer in relation to over 200 claims brought by injured asbestos workers at rural power station.
Sports, Leisure + Entertainment
- Acting on behalf of various sporting organisations and their insurers in the defence of claims involving injuries sustained to participants in a variety of sports, including personal trainers, cyclists and football and basketball players.
- Defending a large vegetation management provider in a class action involving property damage arising out of bushfires.
- Acting on behalf of various international insurers in large subrogated recovery relating to the breakdown of multimillion dollar fertiliser compressor in the Burrup Peninsula, Western Australia.
- Acting on behalf of several Australian and international insurers in relation to multiple subrogated recovery actions involving damage to residential property caused by defective buildings works, engineering designs and fire damage throughout Western Australia.
- Defending a range of public liability and occupiers’ liability claims brought against local Councils, recreational and sporting organisations, manufacturers, builders and nightclub owners.
- Defending statutory recovery actions brought by the WA work cover authority including claims for common law damages.
Trade + Transport
- Advising underwriters of road, rail, sea and air carriers in relation to claims involving goods damaged in transit, including subrogated recovery actions against liable third parties.
- Accident, Health + Travel Claims
- Commercial Property
- Environmental Liability
- Industrial Special Risks
- Inquiries, Investigations + Prosecutions
- Legacy, Sensitive + Complex Claims
- Personal Injury
- Product Liability + Recall
- Property Damage (Third Party)
- Sports, Leisure + Entertainment Liability
- Subrogated Recoveries
- Construction + Infrastructure
- Energy, Mining + Power
- Industrial + Commercial Property
- Manufacturing + Consumer Goods
- Professions + Business Solutions
- Sports, Leisure + Entertainment
- Transport + Marine
- Australian Olympic Committee – Appeals Tribunal Member
- Current Tribunal Member, West Australian Football League Tribunal (WAFL)
- Australia Insurance Law Association
- Law Institute of Western Australia
- Building Dispute Practitioners’ Society
- The Australian & New Zealand Sports Law Association
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group
- Young Insurance Professionals Australia & New Zealand
- Society of Construction Law Australia
- The Piddington Society